Please help me setting up a low tech tank.

Post your queries and experience related to aquatic plants and planted aquariums
azim26
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Please help me setting up a low tech tank.

Unread post by azim26 »

Hi guys, I am setting up my friend's tank, it will be low tech so please suggest me the necessary things. The things I have in my mind are as follows:
1. Tank dimension - 36x15x18 LBH (cant change, he already purchased it)
2. Substrate - I am planning for laterite base capped with gravel/sand
3. Lights - Could not get 3 feet t5ho so I am planning to get 2 ft t5ho as the height is 18", please suggest me how many tubes?
4. co2 - Liquid (excel/glut)
5. Filter - He already got IPF 500 lph
6. Ferts - Mostly EI and csm+b
7. Plants - I am planning for anubias, java ferns, sagittarias, vallisnerias and crypts. (please suggest more plants which are hardy)

Please help me asap, I will be setting his tank up in this coming week.
Thank you.
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Please help me setting up a low tech tank.

Unread post by Abhi »

2. Substrate - I am planning for laterite base capped with gravel/sand- This is fine you can also opt for a branded substrate for rooted plants.
3. Lights - Could not get 3 feet t5ho so I am planning to get 2 ft t5ho as the height is 18", please suggest me how many tubes? - For a low tech and Low light system would suggest 3 at the max so that is 3 x 28 watts
4. co2 - Liquid (excel/glut)
5. Filter - He already got IPF 500 lph - Would suggest to get a canister or a hang on back as better options
6. Ferts - Mostly EI and csm+b
7. Plants - I am planning for anubias, java ferns, sagittarias, vallisnerias and crypts. (please suggest more plants which are hardy) - Vallisneria will not work with Glut or Excel dosing. You can also use mosses and Marselia hirsuta, Hygrophila difformis.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

You can use two 36 W PLL instead, they are cheaper and easy to find.
Sushant
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

azim26 wrote:Hi guys, I am setting up my friend's tank, it will be low tech so please suggest me the necessary things.
Invite your friend on to the forum, why do you want to take his burdon, instead he ll learn more along with you here.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

saikumar wrote:
azim26 wrote:Hi guys, I am setting up my friend's tank, it will be low tech so please suggest me the necessary things.
Invite your friend on to the forum, why do you want to take his burdon, instead he ll learn more along with you here.
:1
azim26 wrote:Substrate - I am planning for laterite base capped with gravel/sand
Mix some soilrite in latarite.

azim26 wrote:Lights - Could not get 3 feet t5ho so I am planning to get 2 ft t5ho as the height is 18", please suggest me how many tubes?
You can use normal 3 feet tubes. 4 tubes will be enough.
azim26 wrote:co2 - Liquid (excel/glut)
Choose plant carefully with Glut.

azim26 wrote:7. Plants - I am planning for anubias, java ferns, sagittarias, vallisnerias and crypts. (please suggest more plants which are hardy)
Saggitaria and Vallisnerias will be melt with Glut or Excel dose.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
azim26
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by azim26 »

@ saikumar he cant give much time to these forums and hez completely dependent on me so i am taking all the burden.
CAN Some obe please tell me where ill get soilrite?
He already got ipf, soon will get an hob as well.
Okay ill skip vals and sags and will go for hairgrass sp or tenellus.