Planning new tank !!!

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
jack

Planning new tank !!!

Unread post by jack »

Greetings of the Day,

been quite long i am active here or in the hobby. been busy with work and personal life. after seeing Vij's post Green Corner and thinking for the night i am planning to start up new tank. not sure when will i start but would do it soon....

i want some thing very low maintenance and easy to care for. And most importantly should be cost effective.

this is the list of the equipements and stuff that i have from my old setups

Motto of the setup : dont want to complicate, should be simple and most importantly should be colorful and active

tank: 6X2X2

sump: 5X2X18 (with 3 partitions) (1st would be drain, 2nd can be used to keep some media or house fishes, 3rd return pump)

Return pumps: have syncra 5.0

filters: eheim professional, eheims 2217 and couple of more, chemical filtration would be handled by filter socks

lights: T5's, CFL's and have Kessils lying around. planning to keep it low cost so would prefer low light setups, also will be getting indirect sunlight as planning tank in garden. so main focus of the light would be night viewing

substrate: either pure white sand (used in reef tanks) or black sand (i prefer black sand as have never used it)

Chiller: none.

fishes planning to keep: dwarf plecos, cichlids, corys (sterbai, panda), also considering black ghose knife for the tank. (looking for suggestions) (i prefer schooling fish with lots of colours and activities)

Plants: not reallly planning to keep plants, but if necessary can only think of Jumbo amazons in once corner so would try to create natural habitat

Dream setups: was planning to start with discus or with stingrays but they are again high maintenance, but any suggestions to this will be welcomed

things to consider: tank being in the garden, it would be pretty hot, would be keeping fans but while giving suggestions please see the fishes could Handel heat :cnf

Thank you very much..... awaiting reply from old friends and family
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Planning new tank !!!

Unread post by saikumar »

Question..

How long do you plan to keep it? :)
jack

Unread post by jack »

Permanent :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Who told you that Discus are high maintenance fish? Are you abld to change 60%-70% water once a week? The tank is a good sized tank. Keep around one dozen after proper cycling tank. Keep controled feeding. Also use lots of floating plants.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jack

Unread post by jack »

floating plants and discuss not really bad idea... but i dont need any faltu discus i am looking at some really good discus that i can get it from Shiva...

but for that people will suggest me to keep no substrate and i dont like tank without substrate...
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Keep substrate for a healthy tank and keep only blue strains of discus. Red strains get peppring in a tank with subatrate. Shiva is the best person. I got 3-4 times discus from him.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

jack

Unread post by jack »

ohkie i will get in touch with him....

if not discus what else can i get ?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Different types of Rainbows with Valseneria, some anubias and floating plants like as Amazon frogbits.

jack

Unread post by jack »

No plants for sure this time... and rainbow i like bosmanian but females are dull in color... but can think of those as well...
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Choose mixed variety of Raibows. They looks very beautiful with plants. Choose only hardy and low maintenance plants.