How to cure pigeons?

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to cure pigeons?

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Today a cat attacked on a wild pigeon. I save him. I washed all the wounds of pigeon and applied betadin lotion on woulds. We also offered water and some peas, grains to him. Now the pegion is looking good but unable to fly and walk.
Please help me
20150502_223112.jpg
20150502_223529.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: How to cure pigeons?

Unread post by Naufil »

Firstly I commend your effort Rajiv-ji, to save this poor bird. :clap
I wish I could have suggest something for its treatment but I know next to nothing about rescuing birds other than general first aid, which you have already provided. However, I think that if the wound is deep it might have a few broken bones and hence it is unable to fly or walk. Considering the brittle nature of bird bones I would not be surprised if that is to be the case. You may want to take it to a vet or the famous Jain Bird Hospital in Old Delhi.

Another thing I would mention is that domestic cats are just miniaturized versions of their wild cousins. They are excellent hunters, should be strictly kept indoors in my opinion as most prove devastating for local wild life, especially birds.
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

A proper treatment from a vet is your best best if you want to ensure that the pigeon will walk and fly.
I too rescued a baby pigeon a month ago and fed it nutritious food and raised it for 15 days. It had splayed legs and avian pox and its parents had abandoned him after he fell from his nest. I put him back and waited but they didn't come back.
So I decided to raise him and give him a chance to live.
I developed a bonding with this pigeon, I put bandages to support his legs and gave him antibiotics.
He was growing healthier every day with new feathers and things but then he died suddenly. I don't know what happened, but I didn't have any facilities for proper treatment as my college is in a remote area.
But nevertheless, after all my efforts, he died and I couldn't save him.

So the best option is to get proper medical care because you can never know what is going inside his body or how he is feeling.
May God Bless you and help you in your kind act :)
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I given pigeon in birds hospital.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda