My 90 Gallon Malawi Tank

Forum for discussion on Cichlids.
anuragsonik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

My 90 Gallon Malawi Tank

Unread post by anuragsonik »

This is my Malawi fish tank evolution in last two years, since I started into sincere Aquarium keeping hobby. Sorry for picture quality as these were taken from mobile camera.

Aquarium Size: 4x2x1.5 Feet
Filteration: 2200l/h-DIY overflow filter, used Battery cover as Sump. Aprox. filter cost along with drill in aquarium & all 500-600 INR.

Fishes Now:
8 Yellow Labs,
5 Orange Mophs,
2 Venustus,
3 Blue Dolphins,
single White Morph,
1 Texas(it has been in the setup since day one, tried seperating it many times but it has never liked that so accepted it to be part of tank)
10-15 Yellow lab, orange morph & few mixed vertical stripped Juveniles
IMG00188-20100806-0956.jpg
IMG00188-20100806-0956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anuragsonik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: My 90 Gallon Malawi Tank

Tank As of Now
IMG00481-20110920-0906.jpg
IMG00480-20110920-0905.jpg
IMG00479-20110920-0905.jpg
Planing to change setup soon after reading few updates on facebook lately about Slag, however it is in there in aquarium since last 15-16 months. Pls suggest.

Regards,
Anurag
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Anurag, you have a nice setup.

What type those black rocks in your aquarium?
Also I want complete description with pictures of your DIY filter as another topic in DIY forum. This will be nice DIY for them whom want to made DIY filter.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
rimple
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rimple »

Nice setup
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it. (Margaret Fuller)
anuragsonik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks Rimple & Rajiv Ji,
Rajiv Ji stones are majorly Slag(Khangar from MG road) & few collected locally. After reading that Slag is harmful for fishes recently will plan to change these however these are there in aquarium for last 15-16 months, fortunately no harm done to fishes till now. lets see if I can find some good texture rocks for the setup. I have sea rocks in another setup but not sufficient to fill up this one.

Will Definetly update on DIY Filteration system once it is due for cleaning.

Regards,
Anurag
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

anuragsonik wrote:Thanks Rimple & Rajiv Ji,
Rajiv Ji stones are majorly Slag(Khangar from MG road) & few collected locally. After reading that Slag is harmful for fishes recently will plan to change these however these are there in aquarium for last 15-16 months, fortunately no harm done to fishes till now. lets see if I can find some good texture rocks for the setup. I have sea rocks in another setup but not sufficient to fill up this one.

Will Definetly update on DIY Filteration system once it is due for cleaning.

Regards,
Anurag
Slags having heavy metals like as iron/coppper. These metals are dangerous for the health of aquatic animals. So please remove these rocks to keep safe your fishes.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

anurag@

the tank is nice but u need to remove the slag ASAP. There is a huge range of factors that operate in a tank (the mineral content of the water, the average temps of your dwelling, your personal preferences when it comes to feeding and water changes, perhaps some other factor that is operative but cannot be pinned down by amateurs like us, we are only generalists after all), so youe fish doing well so far without deaths, is a lucky chance.

you arrange rocks very well, and the tank has the apperarance of a good rift valley tank, so we will be very keen to see how you arrange the new rocks you get. Some of the fiberglass stuff being sold at Anand Parbat is very good, has holes in crucial corners, and last time the guy wanted only about 450 for a large tall piece. two of those and some locally corrected rocks, with your usual placement style, should let us have another lovely tank soon!
jack

Unread post by jack »

as every one said please change the slag...... and as Romi said.... you have a artist in you for setting the rocks..... get some more rocks and get going.. waiting for the new pics....
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

Thats a lovely setup. :thumup

The arrangement of rocks is nice too. Better pics are must :D
anuragsonik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks Romi, Jack & Syed.. Will be changing setup soon with different rocks as myself also came to know about the harm that Slag can do in aquarium very recently.

Regards,
Anurag