MY OWN DIY RAIN SIMULATOR

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
serpadaniobarb
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

MY OWN DIY RAIN SIMULATOR

Unread post by serpadaniobarb »

I did a lot of research on the net and learned a lot about water changes and multiple water agitation techniques. I had an internal water filter or sponge filer before, then i switched into a dolphin hang out filter. Along with a good water flow i wanted to increase my surface agitation and dint want another source for the pumping of water so i did the following.

1. cut out an acrylic sheet of the length and breadth of my tank so that it would easily slide into the tank and kept a little extra gapping on one of the sides.

2. made uniform holes on the acrylic sheet like a grid pattern.

3. cutting out metal wires of 2mm each and adjusting them in a manner providing a slope from the filter mouth till the other side.

4. i used ethoflex to fill up the gaps between the filter mouth and the acrylic sheet. any other material could be used.

I have attached some images of the rain simulator . plz check them out and ya suggestions and comments please..

THANKS A LOT :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asheesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: MY OWN DIY RAIN SIMULATOR

Unread post by asheesh »

looks nice setup, a few questions?
1. what are u using to hold acrylic sheets
2. is it affecting light?
Image Image Image
serpadaniobarb
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

asheesh wrote:looks nice setup, a few questions?
1. what are u using to hold acrylic sheets
2. is it affecting light?
1. I have used aluminium wires of 2mm thickness and passed them from the holes made on the acrylic sheet bending them and making a hook, the hook then rests on the aquarium glass.., I have used a total of 5 such hooks for the setup and are very firm and balanced.

2. Well it does not affect the lighting much as an acrylic sheet is transparent and ya due to the water condensation on the acrylic sheet from below the light might get a little diffused but not much.
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Aquachem »

bro, U started off looking at my setup but now I'm envying you. !! hahaha good stuff.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

This DIY rain simulator will for sure help with fish that breed in the rainy season (denisonii are an example, but their breeding is high end stuff). Another example of how ingenuity alone will yield rich dividends!

But OTOH it will cut down on your lighting buddy, if u use it all the time. Condensation of water will turn the best glass or plastic frosty. But in case u already have a lot of extra wattage, u can continue to enjoy the tropical rain .. ;)
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

How about using it for a part of the tank and keeping plants like ferns and anubias below it, so that even if light is blocked in that section, these low light plants may just do well. It can also act as a bonus in high tech plants where due to high lighting certain plants burn out. Any thoughts on that ?

Regards
Nirav.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

nash81 wrote:How about using it for a part of the tank and keeping plants like ferns and anubias below it, so that even if light is blocked in that section, these low light plants may just do well. It can also act as a bonus in high tech plants where due to high lighting certain plants burn out. Any thoughts on that ?

Regards
Nirav.
like the idea, its like killing two birds with a single stone. :goodpost
Sushant
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by marsaiko »

will CO2 not escape in hitech tanks when it rains?
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

Yes it will, but will we use it 24 x 7 ? dont think the fish would enjoy 24/7 rain. I would put it on a timer along with my lighting and then let Co2 kick in when the rain stops!

Regards
Nirav
serpadaniobarb
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

nash81 wrote:Hi,

Yes it will, but will we use it 24 x 7 ? dont think the fish would enjoy 24/7 rain. I would put it on a timer along with my lighting and then let Co2 kick in when the rain stops!

Regards
Nirav
yeah i could probably do that like i cud cut a little portion of the acrylic off and so that it becomes slideable :) now ill make it rain wen i want or the filter would do its function.

thnx