Good filter media..

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Good filter media..

Unread post by Abhishek »

Hi All,

After loads of thoughts and thinkings decided that will convert my 3 feet tank back to shrimp tank with crs,cbs and possibly fire red, and some male threadfin rainbow.

So query is I have a canister for this tank, which has 3 chambers, one I have decided to go with bio balls(using them in my HOB's and can say they are pretty good as compared to ceramic rings).
Now for the other two chambers please suggest what should be the good filter media and why?

Looking for replies :)
sushant

Re: Good filter media..

Unread post by sushant »

i don't know what type of ceremic ring you are talking about, but as far i have have experienced the ceremic rings from SERA are by far the best bio media and its probably even better than ADA BIO RIO.
Sushant
Abhishek

Well Sushant I guess am using the seachem one, well started using the bio balls which I think is much better, will change the ceramic ring to bio balls and also will put little activated carbon on the same tray.

Now for the remaining two trays what should I use>> Sponge and or??
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Aquachem »

Correct me if im wrong. But activated carbon don't suit planted setups well if u wana go for that. cuz it has properties to such out certain important minerals alongwith other unwanted stuff.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Aquachem wrote:Correct me if im wrong. But activated carbon don't suit planted setups well if u wana go for that. cuz it has properties to such out certain important minerals alongwith other unwanted stuff.

:1
Abhishek

Aquachem wrote:Correct me if im wrong. But activated carbon don't suit planted setups well if u wana go for that. cuz it has properties to such out certain important minerals alongwith other unwanted stuff.
Partially, it helps in taking out the unwanted chemicals and also the tanin, so I might use it for some day to take out the tanin leached by old amazonia.
zico_aqua
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by zico_aqua »

Activated carbon is a must for planted tanks for the first month! it helps to balance by sucking out additional nutrient levels to control algae issues. Plus activated carbon has their longevity of 15 days max so to change that in 15 days time is ideal.
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
asheesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by asheesh »

zico_aqua wrote:Plus activated carbon has their longevity of 15 days max so to change that in 15 days time is ideal.
take out used activated carbon and heat it in a pan for 20-30 mins, keep it staring with a spoon. fill it again in the pouch and they are good to go again.
Image Image Image
asheesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by asheesh »

Abhishek wrote:Hi All,

After loads of thoughts and thinkings decided that will convert my 3 feet tank back to shrimp tank with crs,cbs and possibly fire red, and some male threadfin rainbow.

So query is I have a canister for this tank, which has 3 chambers, one I have decided to go with bio balls(using them in my HOB's and can say they are pretty good as compared to ceramic rings).
Now for the other two chambers please suggest what should be the good filter media and why?

Looking for replies :)
if you are planning to use Some foam as filtration medium in one chamber then instead of that use fiber cotton, which works better for filtration.
Image Image Image
Abhishek

Well thanks Asheesh will surely do that :)

Well here is one thing, yesterday I have used aquaclay in some of my HOB's and seen that the water hardness has gone up more than 60ppm, earlier it was 230ppm and now its 290ppm!!!

Any reasons for this and should I continue using this or remove them?