Substrate for new planted tank

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Substrate for new planted tank

Unread post by abartar »

I need some help with the substrate for setup of my new 4'x1.5'x1.5' planted tank. I do not want to go for expensive substrates but would prefer DIY stuff. I was going through one of the posts where Rajiv has mentioned about coco peat/soilrite. Where in East Delhi can I find them? Any alternates for the substrate available locally in Delhi.
Do I need to mix any other fertilisers to the soil?
Also where to get the golden sand for top layer? What is available is construction/yamuna (silver) sand.
Aviral Bartar
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Substrate for new planted tank

Unread post by SCORPIO »

You can buy cocopeat soil and soilrite from Kaka Nagar, opposite Delhi Zoo.

You have to mix Latarite with soilrite.

Golden sand is available in Shastri Nagar. You can also chek with Bappa Da.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

Thanks Rajiv.

How to differentiate between golden sand & badarpur? Also where is Shastri Nagar and where in Shastri Nagar can it be found? Apologies for my ignorance.

How is the response from Silver sand as it is easy to find some.

Where to get Laterite in Delhi? How much volume of each cocopeat/laterite/soilrite needs to be mixed for my 4'x1.5x1.5' tank?
Aviral Bartar
aakash.shrivastav
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aakash.shrivastav »

SCORPIO wrote:You can buy cocopeat soil and soilrite from Kaka Nagar, opposite Delhi Zoo.

i am also live in shastri nagar delhi 110052. so plz tell me address of seller
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

abartar wrote:Thanks Rajiv.

How to differentiate between golden sand & badarpur? Also where is Shastri Nagar and where in Shastri Nagar can it be found? Apologies for my ignorance.

How is the response from Silver sand as it is easy to find some.

Where to get Laterite in Delhi? How much volume of each cocopeat/laterite/soilrite needs to be mixed for my 4'x1.5x1.5' tank?
Golden Sand is a form of crushed rocks and brown in color. Do not release anything in the water and safe for fishes. While badarpur is too fine and fragile and release a red-brown colour in the aquarium. So not suitable for aquarium.

Contact to Nirav for Latarite. If unable to find Latarite, use construction sand or any other soil. If you are using soil from your locality, it should not contain any NPK fertilizer. It is best to dig atleast one feet and after that collect for the aquarium. Now take 40% soilrite and 60% soil/sand/latarite.

Soilrite is Rs. 90 for a pack of 2 kg while cocopeat is around Rs. 20 for 1 kg. It is also available on nursery shops at Brafkhana, near Delhi University North Campus. Here the price of 5 kg cocopeat soil is Rs. 75.

aakash.shrivastav wrote:
SCORPIO wrote:You can buy cocopeat soil and soilrite from Kaka Nagar, opposite Delhi Zoo.

i am also live in shastri nagar delhi 110052. so plz tell me address of seller
I don't know the proper address but in evening try for the address after confirming.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

Managed to buy cocopeat and soilrite. We have lot of digging going on around the area. Will mix soilrite with soil. Now left with golden sand. It looks like a challenge to find it without the exact location. Any alternate? Can silver sand be used for top layer or can we find something on our expedition on Sunday?

I also found Perlite at the Kaka Nagar shop (Rs.750/10 KG). Can it be used anyway as top layer?
Aviral Bartar
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by marsaiko »

what is silver sand and perlite?
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

marsaiko wrote:what is silver sand and perlite?
silver sand is probably the construction sand. and i think it can be used as the top layer but it will not look good in a planted tank.
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

marsaiko wrote:what is silver sand and perlite?
Silver or grey sand is the river sand normally used in construction. I am not sure where to get golden sand. Search is on.....

Perlite:
A mineral of volcanic derivation that may be used in some substrate mixes. Perlite has a very low Captation exchange capacity, low water-holding capacity (19%), and neutral pH. The closed-cell composition of perlite contributes to its compaction resistance, enhances media drainage, and heightens the aeration of the substrate. Be aware of possible aluminum toxicity in acidic media (pH < 5).

Perlite contains, on average, 47.5% oxygen, 33.8% silicon, 7.2% aluminum, 3.5% potassium, 3.4% sodium, 3.0% bound water, 0.6% iron and calcium, and 0.2% magnesium and trace.

Perlite is characterized by approximately 70% total porosity, 60% of which is aeration porosity. Perlite can retain two to four times its dry weight in water, which is much greater than that of sand, yet much less than the water-holding capacity of peat and vermiculite. Never use it on its own and always top it of with another material.
Aviral Bartar
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

Found a nice link for aquarium substrates with images:

http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquascapin ... -aquarium/
Aviral Bartar