DISCUS guidelines

Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.
adesh8028
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

DISCUS guidelines

Unread post by adesh8028 »

Hi All,

It has been very long time I have started a topic in the forum. After a gentle force from Rajiv, decided to start one on the king of freshwater.
To start with I'm being a little lazy here as I will start with something which coming from my dying blog on How to setup a new tank for Discus

How to setup a new tank for Discus?
After keeping discus for more than 3 years, I understood that there is a lot of fuss about keeping these beauties. People unnecessarily tend to get into complications as the discus fall into delicate fishes category. If things are followed in right manner, they are as hardy fish as guppy. I'm not exaggerating...this has come from my experience.
In order to get started with discus keeping one must begin with setting up the tank. Let's see the dimensions first.
Tank Dimensions
When it comes to discus, it should be "Bigger the better". Dont go for tanks with awkward shapes, stick to the rectangular tank. The height of the tank should be at least 24", this is necessary as to give them as much space as possible to have them grow vertically as well. The depth of the tank should be 18" at least which will give them enough space to turn. The length of the tank should be at least 24" in size. You can always increase the length of the tank if you wish to add more number of discus.
Decorations
For discus with smaller size (less than 4") don't add any decoration items like rocks, sand, gravel, plants. At the max one can put good quality (processed) driftwood/bog-wood. Bare-bottom tank is a convenience to discus keeper for siphoning the tank. If the tank has got decorative items, it becomes a bit difficult for keeping the tank clean. In addition to this, if decorative items are not cleaned in timely manner, they tend to develop parasites which are harmful to fishes.
Background
The pigeon blood strains (without stress bars) do well when the tank background is plain white or light blue. Backgrounds which are dark in color may stress them a bit and the discus will start to show peppering (dark spots) on body/nose or on fins.
Preparing the tank
Once the tank is prepared, wash it and clean it with potassium permanganate. Cycle the tank for at least 1-2 weeks with cycling fishes (Zebras, Tetras etc) and the tank should have appropriate bio-filter (sponge filter) installed which will cater to the tank size accordingly. This process will make sure that the tank has got beneficial bacteria colony developed in the tank which will reduce the ammonia build-up in it.
Location of the tank
The tank should be located in traffic free area where there is less movement in front of it. Try to have tank in low noise region which will make sure not to disturb discus fishes.

If above things are followed correctly and religiously, the tank aka mansion will be perfectly set for the King.

Will keep updating the thread on ongoing basis with different topics. Comments and views are welcome.

Adesh
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DISCUS guidelines

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Very Informative writeup.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

nice information buddy
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

adesh8028 wrote:Hi All,

It has been very long time I have started a topic in the forum. After a gentle force from Rajiv, decided to start one on the king of freshwater.
To start with I'm being a little lazy here as I will start with something which coming from my dying blog on How to setup a new tank for Discus

How to setup a new tank for Discus?
After keeping discus for more than 3 years, I understood that there is a lot of fuss about keeping these beauties. People unnecessarily tend to get into complications as the discus fall into delicate fishes category. If things are followed in right manner, they are as hardy fish as guppy. I'm not exaggerating...this has come from my experience.
In order to get started with discus keeping one must begin with setting up the tank. Let's see the dimensions first.
Tank Dimensions
When it comes to discus, it should be "Bigger the better". Dont go for tanks with awkward shapes, stick to the rectangular tank. The height of the tank should be at least 24", this is necessary as to give them as much space as possible to have them grow vertically as well. The depth of the tank should be 18" at least which will give them enough space to turn. The length of the tank should be at least 24" in size. You can always increase the length of the tank if you wish to add more number of discus.
Decorations
For discus with smaller size (less than 4") don't add any decoration items like rocks, sand, gravel, plants. At the max one can put good quality (processed) driftwood/bog-wood. Bare-bottom tank is a convenience to discus keeper for siphoning the tank. If the tank has got decorative items, it becomes a bit difficult for keeping the tank clean. In addition to this, if decorative items are not cleaned in timely manner, they tend to develop parasites which are harmful to fishes.
Background
The pigeon blood strains (without stress bars) do well when the tank background is plain white or light blue. Backgrounds which are dark in color may stress them a bit and the discus will start to show peppering (dark spots) on body/nose or on fins.
Preparing the tank
Once the tank is prepared, wash it and clean it with potassium permanganate. Cycle the tank for at least 1-2 weeks with cycling fishes (Zebras, Tetras etc) and the tank should have appropriate bio-filter (sponge filter) installed which will cater to the tank size accordingly. This process will make sure that the tank has got beneficial bacteria colony developed in the tank which will reduce the ammonia build-up in it.
Location of the tank
The tank should be located in traffic free area where there is less movement in front of it. Try to have tank in low noise region which will make sure not to disturb discus fishes.

If above things are followed correctly and religiously, the tank aka mansion will be perfectly set for the King.

Will keep updating the thread on ongoing basis with different topics. Comments and views are welcome.

Adesh
Nice information provided Adesh Bhai :)
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

nicely documented adesh bhai. i want to add few things from my experience.

Water Change Schedule: WC schedule is one of the key factor for better growth of discus.if you have juvenile discus,then one has to change 40-50% water daily.and if you have adult discus then you can show fasination of WC schedule to 30%-40% twice per week.though you have to siphon waste.

During winter WC is little bit tricky.one has to give same temperature of water into the tank.that's why one can use a storage tank along with a thermostat to equalise temperature.

Food habit: discus needs various protein food for better health,growth and color. i personally prefer feeding them BHM/GHM along with hikari discus bio gold,tetra bites etc. ants egg is a very good live food for discus.you can feed them as well.

for juvenile discus one has to feed them 4-5 times a day where as for adult discus you can feed 2-3 times a day.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Achintya wrote:nicely documented adesh bhai. i want to add few things from my experience.

Water Change Schedule: WC schedule is one of the key factor for better growth of discus.if you have juvenile discus,then one has to change 40-50% water daily.and if you have adult discus then you can show fasination of WC schedule to 30%-40% twice per week.though you have to siphon waste.

During winter WC is little bit tricky.one has to give same temperature of water into the tank.that's why one can use a storage tank along with a thermostat to equalise temperature.

Food habit: discus needs various protein food for better health,growth and color. i personally prefer feeding them BHM/GHM along with hikari discus bio gold,tetra bites etc. ants egg is a very good live food for discus.you can feed them as well.

for juvenile discus one has to feed them 4-5 times a day where as for adult discus you can feed 2-3 times a day.

I agree to the Achintya. Water Changing is the key of success to keeping discus. It is very difficult in Delhi to keep discus in winters due to low temperature. Water changing is also a headache.

I very nice post is progressing.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
adesh8028
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by adesh8028 »

Perfectly said Achintya. WC is key factor when it comes to raising small discus. That's because of the high water quality requirement for these species.
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

thanx both of you.yes maintaining same temperature of water is a headache specially who doesn't have any spare tank.