DIY Substrate/Fertilizers for planted aquariums.

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: DIY Substrate/Fertilizers for planted aquariums.

Unread post by Romi »

@Rajiv

Dad has come back from hospital, he will have another operation soon but he has to recover from the first one first. let us hope he is able to improve his cardiac status so that chemotherapy can start on time. thanks for your good wishes.

Here is a description of my experience with vermicompost as per your suggestion:

I purchased compost worms (eisenia fetida) for Rs. 500 for half kg or so from Abu Fazl Enclave vermicompost seller, so that i could make my own vermicompost and be sure it was good quality. this was two years ago. I fed the worms leftover food and foood scraps from kitchen and in 3 months i had first class compost (manure). I had already researched on vermicompost subsrates for months. I wet the compost, then rinsed it, again and again a few times. then when the leaching brown material reduced to manageable levels, i put a two inch layer of it, put a two inch layer of pin-head sized good quality gravel (Rs 20/kg bag, from Anand Parbat, also sold in Vikas Marg Shop) on top. Since i have grown up keeping fish and trust my experience, i put the fish and plants in place. this vermicompost substrate grew plants well for at least one year. i had cryptocorynes, apongogetons, vallisneria, many plants i got from friends especially Rajiv (Scorpio), no issues. sometimes the water turned brown in the beginnning but with a 20% water change, it was taken care of :) I dont remember using any micros but i did use macros if i felt i got a new plant from RAjiv that was extra demanding :D

After a year, the vermicompost just kind of disappeared (plant roots took it up?), so i started making small vermicompost balls and putting them in the gravel next to the roots of apongeton and cryts, bunch plants, and today, after more than 2 years, that is how i used vermicompost. i dont have the time to take teh gravel out and put a new layer of vermicompost, so i just keep doing the vermicompost small balls and putting them where needed.

So far, so good! i think those 500 rupees for worms were more than worth it!

If u want to research further, i think a man called Aaron Talbot has also used a smilar process of making a DIY substrate. Diana Walstad is another great natural substrate expert, i loved her book.

for people who care for the environment, it is great to make your own substrate. i have used Red Sea Substrate also, i think that was around Rs 2,500 for 2 kg. there were small clay balls in it, but the packng itself said their nutrients last only 6 months, after which the nutrients are all finished. I guess, i didnt want to take that road. i dont want a hi tech tank, just a healthy natural low maintenance one.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@parthapratim

humus is a simple word. u can find its meaning in any dictionary. any organic matter left over from rotting leaves/dead animals is found in the top layer of soil becuase that is where is things fall after death and rot: that is humus. It is like natural manure.

humus and vermicompost and compost are all similar, becuase they are all the result of worms and microrganisms (bacteria and fungi) breaking down dead matter.
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rahul_sood »

1)i am getting here is cocopeat, nursery soil without any pestisides,..not found soilrite here... any alternative???may be vermicompost??
2)will use half inch of cocpeat then what??
3)nursey wala also has good soil mixture of sand soil and vermi? can i use this??
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

@ Romi how is dad health..He will get well soon buddy...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@maaz

thanks for your good wishes. we will go to hospital this saturday for the weekly check up. he is feeling better, let's see what the docs say after check up... :|
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@rahul sood

if the vermicompost and sand mix is well mixed, yes u can use it. it would be better to mix it half-half with ordinary garden soil. why use sand when u are using a top layer of gravel? Sand can compact and beacome anaerobic. but someting is better than nothing!
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rahul_sood »

Romi wrote:@rahul sood

if the vermicompost and sand mix is well mixed, yes u can use it. it would be better to mix it half-half with ordinary garden soil. why use sand when u are using a top layer of gravel? Sand can compact and beacome anaerobic. but someting is better than nothing!
thanks romi sir,
yes vermicompost is well mixed in sand..yes sand for the top but now thinking to use crused marbel gravel
half inch cocopeat, then one inch garden soil+vermicompost mixture and cover this with gravel.. it would be fine??
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Don't use marble gravel in the aquarium. Marble release calcium in the water and work as a cause of slow death for freshwater fishes.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

SCORPIO wrote:Don't use marble gravel in the aquarium. Marble release calcium in the water and work as a cause of slow death for freshwater fishes.
this means that the first gravels that every hobbyist get(also known as chips) is not suitable for the freshwater fishes????
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

ishaan wrote:
SCORPIO wrote:Don't use marble gravel in the aquarium. Marble release calcium in the water and work as a cause of slow death for freshwater fishes.
this means that the first gravels that every hobbyist get(also known as chips) is not suitable for the freshwater fishes????
no, it isn't. it slowly reacts with water (especially when pH is below 7 or acidic) changing its parameter and thus affect the aquatic life.
Sushant