PH, Kh, CO2

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: PH, Kh, CO2

Unread post by Romi »

SCORPIO wrote:KH provides energy to nitrifying bacteria. Nitrifying bacteria plays an important role in remove the ammonia and nitrite. In the absence of Carbon, plants also uses carbonate to complete the process of photosynthesis. It is also important for livebearers, Rift Cichlids, Brackish an many other fishes.
Wow, buddy, great info.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

don't you guyz think that its a really old thread :dua
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Aquachem »

old thread yes. i myself had lost track of it. i still havent figured out a good reason for high Kh. i am using peat in my filter, compost is my substrate. rest all seems fine. plants take a while to adjust to high Kh it seems but they are doing good now. other stuff under control. Ph - 7 , ammonia - 0, nitrate fluctuates from 0 to a lil higher. seems i have limestone rocks. attaching a link here. http://sell.bizrice.com/selling-leads/3 ... tones.html. though there are only 2-4 of these in my 200 LT but i guess this is it but i had these earlier also when my Kh was lower.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Aquachem wrote:old thread yes. i myself had lost track of it. i still havent figured out a good reason for high Kh. i am using peat in my filter, compost is my substrate. rest all seems fine. plants take a while to adjust to high Kh it seems but they are doing good now. other stuff under control. Ph - 7 , ammonia - 0, nitrate fluctuates from 0 to a lil higher. seems i have limestone rocks. attaching a link here. http://sell.bizrice.com/selling-leads/3 ... tones.html. though there are only 2-4 of these in my 200 LT but i guess this is it but i had these earlier also when my Kh was lower.
What brand of kit do u use for pH testing and for kH ?

These rocks sure do look like limestone. Probably one of the lime-rich lakes in Rajasthan and the Kutch region.
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

i use sera test kits.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

i have used Sera Floredepot substrate, Sera Brine Shrimp and they were all third class. I would suggest u google a bit more, and see if u can find API test kits.
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

i agree, the substrate isnt good, neither their food product
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aawnaik »

I always get a PH of 5.8 to 6 in my planted tank. Is it ok? Do I need to increase it? If yes, How to increase it.
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

aawnaik wrote:I always get a PH of 5.8 to 6 in my planted tank. Is it ok? Do I need to increase it? If yes, How to increase it.
it depends of what you want to keep, technically this is soft water, idea for shrimp and moss. I would love to have water with this PH :)
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

aawnaik wrote:I always get a PH of 5.8 to 6 in my planted tank. Is it ok? Do I need to increase it? If yes, How to increase it.
nops. you dont need to increase it, just keep it stable. when you get fish be careful about their Ph needs. thats it. and for some plants it might get a lil more acidic than needed. Ph of 6.8-7.5 i guess suits the best for majority plants in my experience.