A new Adventure !!!!

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
jack

A new Adventure !!!!

Unread post by jack »

Hi All,

Its been a long since I had a desire to keep a marine tank, now slowly thinking up the plan to have it finalized..

would appericiate your help in my marine tank preparation, now experts jump in and answer the queries please :)

Tank size : 5X 1.5 X 2 feet

1. Will be keeping only percula clown fish may be a small group of them(like most of the hobbyist, Nemo Inspired me a lot fell in love with them but never had chance to get one ) and then once the aquarium is set may be few tangs and my dream fish Mandarin. (this ll be later part may be after 6-8 months one the tank has been started)

2. And do I require protein skimmer or water change will require?

3. What are the ideal water parameters...??

4. is it necessary to keep live rocks ? what are the positives and negatives of LR ??

5. what should be the ideal lighting for the fish only tank ?

6. what is the best substrate to go for ? LFS who deals in the best of marines and have successful marine running since quite long suggested me to go for chinese made live sand.

7. whether to go for sump or external filters ?? i have 3 canister filters that can be attached to this tank.

8. Can i keep Anemon if i go for Artificial rocks ??

i want this tank to be more on low maintenance so planning for artificial rock, but if you guys advise to keep live rock and can share the full details of maintenance of live rocks, i am ready to keep them. As such LR is working out to be much cheaper than artificial rock, but i have to cut down on maintenance.

this project might take anywhere from 1-2 months.

Thanks everyone for the replies, i appreciate it.
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A new Adventure !!!!

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I have limited knowledge of marine side of hobby. But I will try to answer your all the queries.
jack wrote:1. Will be keeping only percula clown fish may be a small group of them(like most of the hobbyist, Nemo Inspired me a lot fell in love with them but never had chance to get one ) and then once the aquarium is set may be few tangs and my dream fish Mandarin. (this ll be later part may be after 6-8 months one the tank has been started)
Clown fishes are easy to keep. You can also keep host anemons with clowns. Mandrin have some specific needs. They known to eat copods. So introduce this fish atleast after 8-9 months when there will enough live food for mandrin.
jack wrote:2. And do I require protein skimmer or water change will require?
Water change in marine setup is not feasible so you should have protein skimmer.
jack wrote:3. What are the ideal water parameters...??
Temperature : 25 - 27 degree celcius
pH : 8.0 to 8.3
Salinity : 1.023 to 1.027
Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites: Should be ZERO

All of the above mentioned are important but there are many other water properties such Alkalinity, Calcium, Phospates, Iodine should be consider.
jack wrote:4. is it necessary to keep live rocks ? what are the positives and negatives of LR ??
Live Rock is natural filter for a marine tank. It also provide an environment for bacteria and algae.

jack wrote:5. what should be the ideal lighting for the fish only tank ?
Lighting is not very important factor for a fish only tank. T5 will be work. But with LR, you need some strong lighting.

jack wrote:6. what is the best substrate to go for ? LFS who deals in the best of marines and have successful marine running since quite long suggested me to go for chinese made live sand.
Aragonite is the best option. You can also go for Live Sand. But it is difficult to clean the Live sand.
jack wrote:7. whether to go for sump or external filters ?? i have 3 canister filters that can be attached to this tank.
Sump will be best. It will increase the water volume so water parameters will be more constant. Canister should be avoid with marine setup. Protein skimmer and LR will be do the work of filtration
jack wrote:8. Can i keep Anemon if i go for Artificial rocks ??
I think there will be no problem. But make a research before keeping the anemones. Most are known to eat the fishes.

Wait for expert advice from others. :adore
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jack

Unread post by jack »

thanks Rajeevji :) got the basic stuff,

now any expert can help me understanding the Live Rocks please :) its too confusing LOL
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

jack

Unread post by jack »

thanks this link is useful....

now, what if i choose artificial rocks ?? i am not planning for corals in near future..... what to do ??
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

If you want a fish only tank there is no problem without any type of rock but if wish to keep Mandrin in future, you should need Live Rock or MMLR from another tank which have beneficial bacteria. Life on rocks is must to have Mandrin in your tank. It is not a difficult task for you in arranging Live Rock at your place.

jack

Unread post by jack »

yes i know it is not difficult to arrange live rocks at our place. but to maintain them is like maintaining planted tanks, and looking at the current situation of work i will like to be a bit less on maintenance.

what is MMLR ??
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

jack wrote:yes i know it is not difficult to arrange live rocks at our place. but to maintain them is like maintaining planted tanks, and looking at the current situation of work i will like to be a bit less on maintenance.

what is MMLR ??
MMLR means Man Made Live Rock

jack

Unread post by jack »

where to get those from ??
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

MMLR are available on LFS.