ADA leaching

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
sushant

ADA leaching

Unread post by sushant »

i have observed that 2 of the 3 tanks i that i have is showing signs of heavy leaching. the water changes its color to light green within a day and then tea brown within a week. at first i thought that it was because of green water but one of the tank has a UV sterilizer installed and working 24*7 so this cannot be the reason. All the Tanks are with new ADA amazonia as the substrate. the common factors in both the tanks are:
1) high temp(> 29 degrees).
2) ADA amazonia, along with power sand.
3) they use the water from the same source.

now the question is: did anyone else in the forum has encountered the same problem as mine?

what step should i take?
i'm doing major water changer in every 3-4 day time.
Sushant
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: ADA leaching

Unread post by marsaiko »

do you know if UV bulb is alive?
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

Green water is most likely to happen if your tank is receiving direct or even indirect sunlight. ADA soils do leach, but not consistently for long. In case you can, scoop out some bit of the soil, put in a tub/small tank/bucket, gently pour some water (preferrably run a small filter) and keep it a dark place (may be under the table) and observe whether the water is green/brown. If yes, then the soil is leaching. If not, your tank has an independent green water problem.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

marsaiko wrote:do you know if UV bulb is alive?
replaced the bulb a few weeks ago and i can see it working through the indicator.
Sushant
Bhushan
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Bhushan »

I would recommend you to change 20% of water every day for the first 15-20 days in a tank using new Amazonia. This will help you overcome a lot of initial problems with a new tank.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Bhushan wrote:I would recommend you to change 20% of water every day for the first 15-20 days in a tank using new Amazonia. This will help you overcome a lot of initial problems with a new tank.
the substrate is not new. its more than an year old.
Sushant