DIY LED Light for a 1FT long tank

Post your quires regarding lighting needs in planted aquariums.
anirudh777
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

DIY LED Light for a 1FT long tank

Unread post by anirudh777 »

Few weeks back,I made a cheapo DIY LED light fixture for my 5gallon tanks using PVC board (5MM Thickness).Here are the things that I used to make it :-

1.PVC board (I used 5 MM but i recommend 3MM as 3mm is easy to cut through . You should buy enough length of PVC board to make the main box and the side legs)
2.6500K 5W LED light (Syska made Glass dome LED . always buy LED lights form good brands like Syska,CG,Havells or Philips.Philips Ultra bright range is best for this purpose.I avoided Cheapo LED brands because they have very less life and they vary in actual color temperature and lux )
3.Bulb holder and Wiring
3.Plug
4.Araldite Epoxy
5.A utility knife (Note:I used a pocket knife instead of utility knife and it was a pain in the ass job to cut it.This resulted in uneven cuts too.So I upgraded to a utility knife for cutting)
6.Aluminium Foil

Cut enough pieces of PVC to make a box and bond all of the pieces with araldite.Line the inner part of the box with aluminium foil (this is to increase reflection and distribute heat evenly).Make the side stands and attach it to the box.cut small pieces and attach it to the side stand to support it on the rim of he tank.Make a hole in one short side of the box and run the wiring to it . Place your holder inside the box and connect the wires and attach the light.The project is finished (The complete pictures will be in the replies section)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: DIY LED Light for a 1FT long tank

Unread post by aawnaik »

It would be better if you could post pictures of you fixture
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
anirudh777
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

I'm going to post it soon.I actually took some photos for uploading it along with the topic but those pictures were too blurry
anirudh777
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

3 months review-LED Bulbs suck.Plant growth was awfully slow . Changed to 15W CFL now.but LED tubes would be much better.Cabomba Furcata in my 15gal lowtech is red under LED tube