DSLR vs Camera phone.

Post your quires related to aquatic photography.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

DSLR vs Camera phone.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I am using DSLR from April, 2014 and still in learning phase. I clicked following two photographs by Canon 500D camera and Samsung Grand2 phone. Both the photographs are unprocessed and changed only size. Result of Samsung Grand2 is more effective. How can I click bright photographs like as phone.

Photo taken by Canon 500D
cam.jpg
[/b]
Photograph Properties

Mode: Manual
White Balance: Florescent
ISO: 400

Photo taken by Samsung Grand2
phone.jpg
[/b]

Please suggest me the best way to take good photographs of aquascape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: DSLR vs Camera phone.

Unread post by rajivzee »

By clicking more pictures:-) The camera is capable, you need to invest your time to learn it. or you're better off with Good Point & shoot.
It seems you need to increase the exposure in above image, anyway this can be easily manage in post production, as DSLR image will be having plenty of details.
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
GauravSingh
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by GauravSingh »

The main reason for the difference in exposure is the Aperture Value. The aperture used in canon is 10 whereas it is 2.4 in the Samsung pic. You could have used a lower F-Stop (aperture) to get a brighter picture.

It would be wise to invest in a flash and nice tripod if you want to take good pictures of your aquarium.
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Tripod yes, but flash for aquarium photography?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

rajivzee wrote:Tripod yes, but flash for aquarium photography?

You are doubting the pro here.

Basically the thing is you need lots of light to get crisp shot of everything in a FTS. The most effective way of doing it is by using a couple of flashes over the tank that burst out light equivalent to thousands of watts of aquarium lighting within a fraction of a second, enabling faster shutter(to freeze moving fish) and smaller aperture(to focus on every detail front to back).

All the amazing crisp pictures you see online, on international forums, contests, etc are all shot by same technique.
KarthikC

Unread post by KarthikC »

Yes, I agree too. Flash will give you a good lighting. Provided, as Hamza said, if you use it above the tank. If you try to use the flash from the front, it would cause glare. Also, flash, if used well, can get you good details of your aquarium inmates.

Cheers,

Karthik
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

hamza wrote:
rajivzee wrote:Tripod yes, but flash for aquarium photography?

You are doubting the pro here.

Basically the thing is you need lots of light to get crisp shot of everything in a FTS. The most effective way of doing it is by using a couple of flashes over the tank that burst out light equivalent to thousands of watts of aquarium lighting within a fraction of a second, enabling faster shutter(to freeze moving fish) and smaller aperture(to focus on every detail front to back).

All the amazing crisp pictures you see online, on international forums, contests, etc are all shot by same technique.
I'm not doubting anyone, just curious. I was imagining the flash will be fired from the front. Thanks for the explanation.
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I am already using Tripod. What if you use more powerful light just for photography time? Then I need flash or not?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

To get a vivid picture you should limit the light enter the camera from any other source especially from the fixture as they affect the white balance making the picture dull. Covering the tank so that no light seeps through from above the surface will make a huge difference.
Sushant
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

SCORPIO wrote:I am already using Tripod. What if you use more powerful light just for photography time? Then I need flash or not?
Did you tried the suggestion - The aperture used in canon is 10 whereas it is 2.4 in the Samsung pic.

Check this out basic information, but helpful
http://www.exposureguide.com/photography-basics.htm
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand