LED lighting Setup from scratch

Post the details about DIY Projects.
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

LED lighting Setup from scratch

Unread post by syed.ali »

I had bought the LED stuff more than 5-6 months back, but it went on hold due to personal reasons.

2 days back i was again feeling very down and sort of going into depression, so though of doing something which will rev me and give me a feeling of satisfaction. Brain lit up and i recalled all the stuff i had collected to make LED light for the cube tank.

So here it start, everything is procured locally from bhagirath palace market or from Kabadi Shop :D

LED: 6 LEDS of 3 Watt each. Make is SEOUL
Driver: Chienese make, dont recall the price
Lens; 10 Each
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
syed.ali

Re: LED lighting Setup from scratch

Before joining the LED to the PCB, I applied some thermal paste, so that the heat transfer is better and uniform.

Thermal past, bought from Nehru place for 10/-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Waiting the final output.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
syed.ali

For the heat sink, i bough a 3-4 mm thick Aluminium sheet from kabadi, they deal with IT hardware, so i saw this sheet coming of from a server body so picked it up. Got 3 of these sheet for 200/-.

Then the thermal tape, i literally searched whole Nehru place, didnt find it, finally i went to the guy who repairs my desktop, he had it and gave me this big piece for 200/-

Using the tape i have just pasted the led on the sheet, its being 2 days they are holding on
syed.ali

It took in all about 1 hrs to solder LEDs to PCB and then join the wires and put them on the Sheet
syed.ali

I have bought 2 type on lens, one is focussed on, the shop keeper didnt knew the angle and other is spreader.

I didnt like the speader as the led without it is better, i felt there is more loss in lighting in that. Then i tried with focussed lens, you can see the patch on ceiling all lit up. I am yet to put the with lens on tank as the lens i am yet to fit them. The fitting cover given, is not fitting over the LED with wires soldered on it, so have to try it. Will post the pics of those also, right now dont have it.

Right now i have just placed it on top on tank to see, if i can leave it as it or need to split the plate so that i get 2 strips and then i can place them more appropriately.

I was using 36 watt CFL lamb and the effect i am getting from this 18watt of LED is much more satisfactory, firstly i think with LED, we can manage the spread of light better with less height adjustment, less power consumption, less heat and last the feeling of going it all on your own :dance

I think the total setup has costed me about 700-800 of material
1. 6 3 watt LED
2. 1 Driver
3. Thermal Paste
4. Thermal Tape
5. LED Lens
6. PCB
7. heat sink

As of now i have not run it for more than 3 hrs on stretch as i want to do that when i am at home, so that if anything goes wrong then i am there :)

More work to be done are
1. Fit it in acrylic hood
2. Put fan on the surface to take care of the heat
3. Put On/Off switches
4. Intend to put 4 Blue LED so that i can use that for moon light effect
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

wow, rocking thread. how much did hte total cost come to, syed?
syed.ali

Approx 700-800. In this i have lot of extra stuff also. Like Thermal Tape, i bought for 200/ where as my need would have got suffice with may 50/- only.

Bought extra lens. But yes min would about 600/-

Attached are pics with the same tank, pics taken with same phone camera, one is with CFL and other with LED.

The picture are still not doing the justice, but its amazing throw of light.

So right now the LED is total of 18 watt, same or rather lil less light with 35 Watt CFL
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Nice setup. I too am planning to move from normal Chinese Led to seoul/ edison (Cree/lumiled luxeon far exceeds my budget) )
Sushant
swapanbaruah
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by swapanbaruah »

very nice ,can you tell me the address & name of the shop where you got these LED stuff. :clp :clp :clp :clap