Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius) availability

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius) availability

Unread post by Naufil »

Actually me and a friend of mine(not an aquapetz member, or even related to our hobby) are planning to start pet reptile biz in india, but its all in the preliminary stage. Lets see how things will unfold.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Naufil wrote:+1
that and they also have temp. requirements that must be met in order for the lizard to carry out its metabolic activities.
Leopard Geckos are found in the Thar desert region, (I have myself caught many in the wild but only for observing not for petting) where temp. differences
between day and night can vary greatly. In the wild geckos and other ectothermic (cold blooded) animals practice 'thermoregulation', by moving into hotter and cooler areas to raise and lower their body temperatures as needed. If you observe the house lizard's daily activities you'll notice this practice.
So...an over head lamp will only provide it with a basking spot. There should be other spots in the enclosure (tank, whatever you call it) with variable temperatures and hiding spots.

Also all geckos except the day geckos are nocturnal so a natural day and night cycle is created to keep them from getting stressed. Many people consider them easier to keep than other lizards because they are tamer and smaller than most. But in the long run its not just about the temperament and size, one should also consider the habitat requirements, so that your fav. pet doesn't end up being a pain in the ass.
Exactly. But I wonder if DJ MAnkotia's friend will see information like this before he takes the plunge....
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Naufil wrote:
Romi wrote:In a way, this is good. We have too many poachers now in India, and since the governments are saturated with corruption, the ban on reptiles will disappoint pet lovers like us, but protect the species better. So overall, it is an advantage for the reptiles as it is for the birds. ... Hard but true.
:1
Yet, there is still hope old pal. If someone domesticates a lizard or a squirrel or even a mouse for that matter and keeps it, thats not illegal, thats okay, you won't get arrested for that. Unless that animal is a threatened species or under protection. It is however illegal to trade them and breed them for the purpose of trading them.
In the same manner we aquarists collect fish and shrimp and other things.

Unfortunately you can be arrested for keeping any animal which is not classified as a domestic animal. we get away with keeping so many native fish because
1. Authorities are not very clued up
2. Many of these are used as food in parts of the country and are reared.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

@VishaalDalal
that being true, but I havn't really come across any news of somebody getting arrested for keeping a garden lizard or a mouse. People kill thousands of them as pest control. Leopard Geckos however are wild animals, its best to keep away from them.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I have read about a person being arrested for keeping an Indian ring-necked parakeet at home in Laxminagar (commonly called a 'Tota'), even though the bird has been kept in cages in India for over a millennium. So it is possible to be harassed and taken into custody if a neighbor or friend of yours is angry with you; wants to report you to the Wildlife Department of NCR, including the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Society (headquartered in Old Delhi, I think).

Raja at Anand Parvat's biggest shop told me of a time when he had to spend a night in jail. His shop was reported to the same department and even the guppies he kept for feeding to large fish like Flowerhorns and Arowanas, were 'seized' as 'native fish' kept illegally for sale. This shows the raiding party is sometimes manned by staff that cannot even ID species properly before they take you into custody.

I feel Wildlife needs every effort on our part to be saved from poachers and mindless people who buy rare and endangered species for silly reasons (they deserve worse), but what we do not need is harassment for the sake of extortion or victimization for brownie points.
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Romi wrote:I have read about a person being arrested for keeping an Indian ring-necked parakeet at home in Laxminagar (commonly called a 'Tota'), even though the bird has been kept in cages in India for over a millennium. So it is possible to be harassed and taken into custody if a neighbor or friend of yours is angry with you; wants to report you to the Wildlife Department of NCR, including the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Society (headquartered in Old Delhi, I think).

Raja at Anand Parvat's biggest shop told me of a time when he had to spend a night in jail. His shop was reported to the same department and even the guppies he kept for feeding to large fish like Flowerhorns and Arowanas, were 'seized' as 'native fish' kept illegally for sale. This shows the raiding party is sometimes manned by staff that cannot even ID species properly before they take you into custody.

I feel Wildlife needs every effort on our part to be saved from poachers and mindless people who buy rare and endangered species for silly reasons (they deserve worse), but what we do not need is harassment for the sake of extortion or victimization for brownie points.

:1 :1 :1 :1 Romi,

also to be noted is the Indian Attitude "chalta hai yaar" everyone is doing it
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Romi wrote:I have read about a person being arrested for keeping an Indian ring-necked parakeet at home in Laxminagar (commonly called a 'Tota'), even though the bird has been kept in cages in India for over a millennium. So it is possible to be harassed and taken into custody if a neighbor or friend of yours is angry with you; wants to report you to the Wildlife Department of NCR, including the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Society (headquartered in Old Delhi, I think).

Romi well said. There was this LFS in my locality which made the transition from freshwater to marine, after a few days he was arrested after a complaint by someone. Fortunately, he was out the other day because there was no evidence against him.
Let me share an interesting experience I had with these animal NGO people. There was an animal lover type girl in my class who was a member of an animal welfare NGO (name not used intentionally). We were good friends until she saw my fish tanks and she told me that I should release all these fish in the yamuna, because thats where they belong. I told her about habitats and ecosystems and all that but to no effect. Next day she wanted me to meet a 'senior member' of their NGO. Well I was effing impressed I tell you. She told me that I should release all my fish in the wild, (bettas and firemouths imagine!) and adopt a street dog instead. When I declined their offer they turned hostile and threatened me that they would report about my cruelty to animals. Needless to say that girl and me don't see eye to eye since that incident.
Interestingly, There are several known politicians in india who maintain private menageries and do get away with it. On the other hand there are simple pet lovers who are threated arrest for just having bettas in their tanks. Sheeeez!!
Well, this thread is getting more interesting with each post.
jack

Unread post by jack »

it different stories everywhere

i have couple of friends who have tarantulas and all kinds of snakes as pets and they call themselves independent NGO and animal lovers
what they do is they rescue the animals and instead of releasing them in wild they pet them.
i also know a guy who is politically strong and his son has whole lot of stuff
i have also seen deers at clients farmhouse, boss what a farmhouse :0
and also know many road side small bird cage makers getting arrested for selling Indian native birds

soo in conclusion i would say if you have money and power you can get away with it and if you do it for living than you are just screwed up ....
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Lajpat Nagar (New Delhi) and Dharamshala, (Himachal Pradesh)

Unread post by djmankotia »

Romi wrote: Exactly. But I wonder if DJ MAnkotia's friend will see information like this before he takes the plunge....
The friend is actually a "she" not a "he" ;)
She has more than 10-12 years of experience keeping Leopard geckos back home in Europe - in fact she's one of the experts in her local reptile club; so I can safely assume she is well aware of the intricacies of raising these lizards as pets. Anyway, thanks a lot guys for all the information...I've already conveyed to her as much as I could. She's anyway leaving India soon and has dropped her plans for keeping the geckos.
But thanks again friends for all the interesting and noteworthy points!