New Rack - Planning

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

New Rack - Planning

Unread post by Abhishek »

Hi All,

Planning for a new rack, it will be long and tedious job so need every one's advice.

Here is a image of the possible setup -

So any suggestions are thoroughly welcomed, planned this kind of setup so that the rack is compact in design.

All the water parameter will be same, so any filtration suggestion which can be used approx all the tanks?

I was thinking of small canisters, any other suggestion are welcomed also :)
Shiladitya
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: New Rack - Planning

Unread post by Shiladitya »

Nice design Abhishek da but imo canisters get dirty very fast and its a tedious job to break em apart and clean them every weekend. How about a number of gravity fed sumps? Do you run anything else (eg. carbon) inside the canister?

A rough sketch to let you know what I am talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shiladitya Biswas
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

You are going to keep shrimps inside these tanks. Why do you not use Hang on canisters? They are compacts and works good.

Keeping an eye on your project. I am also planning to keep some exotic shrimps in coming days. I will start my projects in summer vacations.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

I don't think there is anything wrong with canisters. A good quality canister will provide excellent growth of bacteria and will help you run the setup without maintainence for a very long time. I don't even open my canisters for nearly 6-9 months sometimes.

But I support what Rajiv said. If you are planning shrimps, then hang on filters are really good given their low flow rate.

I have often wondered whether shrimp tanks require any kind of active filtration at all. Why can we not simply keep a sponge aeration setup ? The sponge will clean up suspended particles and provide a perfect place for the shrimps to laze around. And some weekly water changes should keep the water quality fairly healthy.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

apuda2010 wrote: I have often wondered whether shrimp tanks require any kind of active filtration at all. Why can we not simply keep a sponge aeration setup ? The sponge will clean up suspended particles and provide a perfect place for the shrimps to laze around. And some weekly water changes should keep the water quality fairly healthy.
:1 same :cnf
Also with fear of canister/sump/HOB/power-filter sucking up shrimplets, and the fuss of covering the intake with mesh etc.
Abhishek

@Shila, sump was in my mind from the first time itself, but while talking with some of the experts outside got a mixed feeling that it might not be safe for shrimplets, they couldn't justify the exact reason but as per their experience, I am skeptical about using Sump.

I planned for 1*1*1 sump for every rack, that means 3 sumps for 6 tanks..
Abhishek

Rajiv Ji, HOB are fine even I also use HOB but can stuff more media inside the canister and some how the prices I will get the canister its absolute steal :P

Do your home work during summer vacation and start the project when monsoon is there :) I will send you some shrimps :)
Abhishek

Apuda I also use sponge filter, but in some tanks using canister and hob filtration and can see the effects.
About shrimps they dont give you so much time for treatment, so best filtration is required there. Better circulation, clean -uncontaminated water, well oxygenated water are the order of the day.

And moreover bulk of the hybrid shrimp dont prefer too much of water change, top up is the best solution. Have experiences on the water change - some of my berried female dropped their eggs, that too the water change water was also of same parameter(temp might be different).

And yes I might keep a sponge filter also to accumulate more micro-organism growth :)

Come down soon to Bangalore will show you my setup(s) and also help me to plan better :)
Abhishek

@Sai, just cover it with a simple layer of sponge and no issues at all :)
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

since canister filters are gravity fed and tanks are only 1 feet high, i guess it might be not be the best idea. i would suggest 3 tanks in top two racks and filters at the bottom.
Sushant