90 Gallon Mixed Reef tank

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
stephndsz
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef tank

Unread post by stephndsz »

aquascapist wrote:Thanks Partha.
Honestly, coming from the freshwater planted side to reef can be daunting. The upfront cost would obviously be getting the right equipment. Light has been the biggest expenditure for me followed by the protein skimmer. I already had a chiller running since my planted days as my tank is on the second floor and gets its fare amount of sun. I started with t5ho but quickly realised longterm it would turn out to be expensive as I would have to keep replacing the tubes every year. Actinic tubes can run steep. I tried making DIY LED bulbs but couldnt find suitable spectrum for reef available locally. Ultimately plunged into getting a comercial fixture from zetlight. Best investment so far. Tank remains cool and coral growth has been amazing.
My filtration setup is fairly simple. I rely heavily on skimmer for nutrient outtake. I'm also using large amount of live rock in display as well as sump to reduce nitrate and to some extent phosphate with the addition of vinegar. I also tried an algae scrubber for sometime with good results but it tends to be too messy so went back to vodka and vinegar dosing. I also run activated carbon to mitigate some of the toxins made by corals.
All in all I might have spent close to 50k including live rock and sand. These costs dont include fauna. I'm fairly sure that the costs can be brought down for a smaller tank as lighting needs and filtration needs go down. I also have less bioload in terms of fish but i do end up feeding my corals a lot.
The costs can be a bit heavy if invested in one go. I would advise to break it down.
P.S. If you do want to give it a shot, I have 6 t5 tubes lying with me for donation :)

Edit: Forgot to mention one of the most overlooked equipments being a R.O. unit. Ordinary tap water just wont cut for a reef tank.

thats a lot of money! but i guess totally worth it!
siddhartha.saive
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by siddhartha.saive »

Awesome tank mate :D

Inspiration for my reef that I'm starting;)
jack

Unread post by jack »

very nice and well balanced tank... what is your waterchange schedule ? and other maintainance schedule ?
what do you feed ? how much do you feed ? especially corals ...
what salt do you use ?
what is your live stock in the tank...

i see a fox face that is not too good for this tank... it requires a bigger tank...
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquascapist »

stephndsz wrote: thats a lot of money! but i guess totally worth it!
I'm pretty sure this is still a conservative estimate since I didn't include the cost of fauna and salt, r.o. water and filteration media. But as you said it, its totally worth it.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

siddhartha.saive wrote:Awesome tank mate :D

Inspiration for my reef that I'm starting;)
go for it bro, but go slowly!!
Warm Regards,
Aditya
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

@jack thank you! As far as my maintenance schedule goes, I change 5% water every week. I check my nitrate, kh and phosphate readings before change as well. I check calcium reading every month or too. Every six months, I do a thorough clean of sump followed by a 20% water change. Apart from that i only clean skimmer and adjust my vinegar dose based on my nitrate readings as well as algae on tank glass. I'm also dosing lime and mag. chloride with my DIY auto top off water.
I feed a commercial zooplankton food once a week for the corals and my own DIY cube feed using shrimp, crab and fish from market added with seachem reef plus. This i feed once a week too. Fish get hikari and ocean nutrition pellets once every day. I also have a lot of pods thanks to no predators for them. I've also just started feeding baby brine shrimp enriched with phyto but its too early to know how much its helping. I usually turn off my pumps during feeding with only the wavemaker for circulation. Also trying to get my hands on cyclopeeze but so far unsuccessful.
Salt I'm using is Red sea coral pro.
I do agree this foxface will eventually need a bigger tank and Ill need to let it go. It was an impulse buy oopsbig but its stayed strong for the last 8 months. Other inhabitants include 2 percula clowns, 2 dartfish sp.(unidentified), one red fairy wrasse, 2 scarlet reef hermits and 1 red and 1 blue linckia star. My plans are to keep 4 of skunk cleaner shrimp, a small goby (any suggestions) and a pair of firefish.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
siddhartha.saive
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by siddhartha.saive »

You can add an orchid dottyback if you like it
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

have heard that they can be aggressive. Some more pics today after water change
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Really I am not sure if I will make such a tank ever, thanks a lot for your detailed information. This is an lovely tank.

I have seen only couple of tanks, under Led tank becomes magical.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
jack

Unread post by jack »

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation... I agree the money spent is totally worth it... very nice tank and healthy corals .. where do u usually buy corals from ?

@ Partha start making a reef and i bet on you at the end of few months you would be mesmerised by the beauty of reef and will give up planted tank and you will be proud to call your self reefer :) :) :)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D