90 Gallon Mixed Reef tank

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

90 Gallon Mixed Reef tank

Unread post by aquascapist »

HI Guys,
I'd like to show you my current mixed reef tank. Tank specs are as following.
Dimensions: 48" x 24" x 18" (LxWxH)
Sump: 20 gallon
Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB 150
Lighting: LED

Tank turned an year old this 15th of August.
Here are some of the snaps. They are mostly from mobile, will be uploading better pictures in future. yipi
Special thanks to Ashok ji. He is truly a gem of a person and an experienced reef hobbyist. I would say that anyone who wants to have a slice of reef hobby have a word with him for guidance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aquascapist on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef tank

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Aditya, you are rocking.

I like the tank and your hard work.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

thanks Rajiv ji
Warm Regards,
Aditya
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

some more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

some more snaps...for some reason I'm only able to attach 3 pictures to a post. :cnf
Warm Regards,
Aditya
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Ashokji is always one of Best in India.

Amazing tank you have.

Can you show us a details of expenditure for a start up tank!!!
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks Partha.
Honestly, coming from the freshwater planted side to reef can be daunting. The upfront cost would obviously be getting the right equipment. Light has been the biggest expenditure for me followed by the protein skimmer. I already had a chiller running since my planted days as my tank is on the second floor and gets its fare amount of sun. I started with t5ho but quickly realised longterm it would turn out to be expensive as I would have to keep replacing the tubes every year. Actinic tubes can run steep. I tried making DIY LED bulbs but couldnt find suitable spectrum for reef available locally. Ultimately plunged into getting a comercial fixture from zetlight. Best investment so far. Tank remains cool and coral growth has been amazing.
My filtration setup is fairly simple. I rely heavily on skimmer for nutrient outtake. I'm also using large amount of live rock in display as well as sump to reduce nitrate and to some extent phosphate with the addition of vinegar. I also tried an algae scrubber for sometime with good results but it tends to be too messy so went back to vodka and vinegar dosing. I also run activated carbon to mitigate some of the toxins made by corals.
All in all I might have spent close to 50k including live rock and sand. These costs dont include fauna. I'm fairly sure that the costs can be brought down for a smaller tank as lighting needs and filtration needs go down. I also have less bioload in terms of fish but i do end up feeding my corals a lot.
The costs can be a bit heavy if invested in one go. I would advise to break it down.
P.S. If you do want to give it a shot, I have 6 t5 tubes lying with me for donation :)

Edit: Forgot to mention one of the most overlooked equipments being a R.O. unit. Ordinary tap water just wont cut for a reef tank.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

aquascapist wrote:Thanks Partha.
Honestly, coming from the freshwater planted side to reef can be daunting. The upfront cost would obviously be getting the right equipment. Light has been the biggest expenditure for me followed by the protein skimmer. I already had a chiller running since my planted days as my tank is on the second floor and gets its fare amount of sun. I started with t5ho but quickly realised longterm it would turn out to be expensive as I would have to keep replacing the tubes every year. Actinic tubes can run steep. I tried making DIY LED bulbs but couldnt find suitable spectrum for reef available locally. Ultimately plunged into getting a comercial fixture from zetlight. Best investment so far. Tank remains cool and coral growth has been amazing.
My filtration setup is fairly simple. I rely heavily on skimmer for nutrient outtake. I'm also using large amount of live rock in display as well as sump to reduce nitrate and to some extent phosphate with the addition of vinegar. I also tried an algae scrubber for sometime with good results but it tends to be too messy so went back to vodka and vinegar dosing. I also run activated carbon to mitigate some of the toxins made by corals.
All in all I might have spent close to 50k including live rock and sand. These costs dont include fauna. I'm fairly sure that the costs can be brought down for a smaller tank as lighting needs and filtration needs go down. I also have less bioload in terms of fish but i do end up feeding my corals a lot.
The costs can be a bit heavy if invested in one go. I would advise to break it down.
P.S. If you do want to give it a shot, I have 6 t5 tubes lying with me for donation :)

Edit: Forgot to mention one of the most overlooked equipments being a R.O. unit. Ordinary tap water just wont cut for a reef tank.

Lighting is always a pain for a reef tank keeper. When I setup first reef in 2011, I faced lighting problem. I spent thousands on 3watt LEDs but not satisfied. I also used T5s, PLLs etc.

How much you spent on zetlight?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

About 25k Rajeev ji
Warm Regards,
Aditya
devchitra
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!