Preserving tubifex by freezing

Discuss on feeding habits and requirements of various marine creatures.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Preserving tubifex by freezing

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

Hi all,

Like to know ur opinion on the process of preserving tubifex by freezing it. As per my experience in aquahobby , tubifex is the most tasty food for all fishes i have kept so far. Yet keeping them alive for certain period is a pain( by keeping them under constant water flow, changing water quite often to remove dead tubifex etc etc ) .

SOLUTION :

I have seen a v good friend of mine freezing tubifex and serving it to fishes. HE successfully kept badis badis by following this method. As per my exp with badis , they r among top finicky eaters and will not accept anything but livefood.

As per him keeping tubifex in deep refrigerator will also kill bact/parasites it is containing.

Now before trying this process i want your opinion . I don't want to do any experiments with my cardinals & angels.

U might ask y i am opting for tubifex ? It is simply because i believe tubifex is one of the protein rich food which should be offered for better health.

Eagerly waiting or ur reply

Regards,
Pinaki
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Re: Preserving tubifex by freezing

Unread post by bmukh »

I had tried it few years back. I simply took a ice tray, put the dividers in it and poured tubifex and stuff it in the deep freezer. Latter on, take those cubes and feed. While feeding, in a separate tank keep 2/3 Neons...feed them first for a few days and wait for signs of white sot (neons ae most vulnerable to white spots from Tubifex). If no white spots, proceed to feed all fishes.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Did u face any issue while feeding them ????? r they good ??? what's ur opinion ....should i proceed with feeding or do a test on selected fishes b4 proceeding
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

pinaki_pal wrote:Hi all,

Like to know ur opinion on the process of preserving tubifex by freezing it. As per my experience in aquahobby , tubifex is the most tasty food for all fishes i have kept so far. Yet keeping them alive for certain period is a pain( by keeping them under constant water flow, changing water quite often to remove dead tubifex etc etc ) .
They are cultured through a different method and are kept under flowing water for them to purge their guts as wild collected worms are full of bacteria and other nasty things.
They should be placed in a shallow container and a slow current of cold water should be poured for a couple of days for their gut cleaning process. After cleaning them only freeze them, but live food is live food and frozen will never take its place, so better get hold of a Romifex or a Grindals culture, they are pretty easy to maintain.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Conclusion : I better switch to alternatives and search for Romifex or a Grindals culture :P :P ....
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

pinaki_pal wrote:Conclusion : I better switch to alternatives and search for Romifex or a Grindals culture :P :P ....
yes...and you can pick up some of the former from me...
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Dada when r u coming to Kolkata ??? or r u in Kolkata now?? Please pm me ur cell number once u r in city of joy :) :)....