Live rock requirements

Discuss everything related to Live Rock, Live Sand, Aragonite and other substrates used in marine aquariums.
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Live rock requirements

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

Typically a sump is to add additional water volume to your system and to hold most of your equipment. Also a lot of hobbyist would make refugiums to hold macro algae, etc in the sump.

A lot of reefers use simple live rock rubble as well.

Warm Regards
Nirav.
Creep
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Creep »

You do not need live rock.

You can use base rock or artificial live rock (available in Chennai), seed it with bacteria (Prodibio bio digest) works as well as live rock. And it also saves the environment. I've setup a number of tanks with just base rock and it been running fine for a long time.

As for filtration, i suggest you look into bio-pellets... you would need a very small quantity for a FO tank...
nishant.datta
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nishant.datta »

Creep wrote:You do not need live rock.

You can use base rock or artificial live rock (available in Chennai), seed it with bacteria (Prodibio bio digest) works as well as live rock. And it also saves the environment. I've setup a number of tanks with just base rock and it been running fine for a long time.

As for filtration, i suggest you look into bio-pellets... you would need a very small quantity for a FO tank...

thanks, I was looking for alternatives to live rock.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

This advice is from one the most experienced marine tank keeper. So follow the idea of creep.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

How would bio pellets help in a FO Tank ? they are essentially polymers which remove nitrate and Phosphates, which should not bother in a FO Tank. So why use it? A water change should serve the same purpose. Normally one would suggest biopellets for FOWLR tanks with high Nitrates or Phosphate issues. So if you could share abit more info on it would be glad to learn.

Warm Regards
Nirav
Creep
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Creep »

nash81 wrote:

How would bio pellets help in a FO Tank ? they are essentially polymers which remove nitrate and Phosphates, which should not bother in a FO Tank. So why use it? A water change should serve the same purpose. Normally one would suggest biopellets for FOWLR tanks with high Nitrates or Phosphate issues. So if you could share abit more info on it would be glad to learn.

Warm Regards
Nirav
What u said is true, but also in a FO tank, it will contain enough base rock and when seeded with Biodigest it contains various strains of nitrifying bacteria and denitrifying bacteria. So, the Base rocks should take care of the nitrifying process and the bio pellets should take care of the denitrification, thus reducing or eliminating the need for water changes. I've use this method on a large tank with a heavy bio-load and haven't had any issues also no water change for over a year.

This is just my experience.
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi creep,

Are you talkin of fo or artificial fowlr, if we are talking fo, where is the base rock coming from?

if you are saying artificial live rock and base rock is as good as natural live rock, then essentially both forms of bacteria should form within it. A large amount of nitrates acumulate due to detriusor lack of enough flow.

Personally I feel to do a water change or not is something each individual tank will have to decide on itself, additives can work equally well as a water change depending on what you use. As even the water we use is man made, biodigest and biooptim will both break down excess nutrients and provide the right bacteria levels, a good skimmer and flow rate can achieve similar results with water changes.

Combinations are a plenty, however in terms of cost using biodigest and bioptim on a regular basis would be as expensive if not more than doing water changes, biopellets are again an expensibe affair and optimizing the right flow rate or a reactor.

Regards
nirav
Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

True live rock cannot be sold within India. Period. Irrespective of what the local people do. They do it due to lack of resources and lack of education in preserving our natural resources.
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com