Calcium for Shrimps

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Calcium for Shrimps

Unread post by ishaan »

Again i have questions regarding shrimps and i want to know that is there any need to provide a calcium source to shrimps. If yes can i use empty snails shells for the purpose??
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Calcium for Shrimps

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Calcium is beneficial for shrimps but adding empty snail shells will increase KH, GH and pH.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

1st question why you need to provide calcium for shrimps?
The molted skin that they take off is a source of calcium for them already :)

There is nothing in providing it, but you have strike a line where excess calcium shouldn't increase the water hardness, ph.

So its not that I wouldn't suggest using calcium in a shrimp tank but it should be in right quantity, and don't use empty small snail shells, try to get your hands on cuttle bone they dissolves slowly not increasing the ph drastically.

But Ishaan, I would like you to focus on providing them a good diet where Iodine is also present, its debatable where people say it helps in molting.

But I till date never provided any supplement, the food I provide them contains Iodine and Calcium in right quantity along with protein ad vegetable diet.

And one more simple thing chotu :p- 'Try to keep things as simple as you can' :)
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Abhishek wrote:1st question why you need to provide calcium for shrimps?
The molted skin that they take off is a source of calcium for them already :)

There is nothing in providing it, but you have strike a line where excess calcium shouldn't increase the water hardness, ph.

So its not that I wouldn't suggest using calcium in a shrimp tank but it should be in right quantity, and don't use empty small snail shells, try to get your hands on cuttle bone they dissolves slowly not increasing the ph drastically.

But Ishaan, I would like you to focus on providing them a good diet where Iodine is also present, its debatable where people say it helps in molting.

But I till date never provided any supplement, the food I provide them contains Iodine and Calcium in right quantity along with protein ad vegetable diet.

And one more simple thing chotu :p- 'Try to keep things as simple as you can' :)
that means providing a calcium source is not very much necessary, i feed them hikari shrimp cuisine, hikari algae wafers, hikari sinking wafers, some veggis and dried almond leaves.
And according to the specification these hikari products also have calcium......And what about iodine. Is it also present in these foods :cnf
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
vikram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikram »

Spinach/Palak is high in calcium .. may be it helps in Shrimps calcium needs . . .
--
Vikram
Abhishek

ishaan wrote:
that means providing a calcium source is not very much necessary, i feed them hikari shrimp cuisine, hikari algae wafers, hikari sinking wafers, some veggis and dried almond leaves.
And according to the specification these hikari products also have calcium......And what about iodine. Is it also present in these foods :cnf
Yes Iodine will be present, see just understand one very simple thing- as long as your shrimps are happily living and breeding continue the process you have followed don't try out new :)
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Abhishek wrote:
ishaan wrote:
Yes Iodine will be present, see just understand one very simple thing- as long as your shrimps are happily living and breeding continue the process you have followed don't try out new :)
not breeding because the mature males and females died at the time of Co2 fluctuation and also anubias
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Abhishek

ishaan wrote: not breeding because the mature males and females died at the time of Co2 fluctuation and also anubias
Then first work on the uttermost basics :)
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Abhishek wrote:
ishaan wrote: not breeding because the mature males and females died at the time of Co2 fluctuation and also anubias
Then first work on the uttermost basics :)
hehe i don't think because i was having fever those days and was unable to do anything for the tanks and that was the worst week
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

ishaan wrote:
Abhishek wrote:
ishaan wrote:
not breeding because the mature males and females died at the time of Co2 fluctuation and also anubias
so, none of the Anubias survived??????????
Sushant