Turtle:Is this true

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Turtle:Is this true

Unread post by ishaan »

while surfing about turtles i came across this i want to know that is this necessary to be done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hibernate
Many turtles and reptiles need to hibernate. For land turtles a simple crate or stable cardboard box filled with moist peat or leaves, is suitable. In this box, the animals will rest from autumn to spring. To avoid disturbing them, place the box in a quiet place. Protect these animals from rodents because they are completely defenseless during hibernation. Suitable temperatures during hibernation are at 8 – 10°C (46 – 50°F).
Awakening in spring
In early spring, carefully bathe the awakening turtles in lukewarm water. The water must be shallow enough to allow the turtles to keep their head above water without any problem. They are still sleepy during this time and could drown if the level of the bathing water is too high!
Turtles drink while having their bath.
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Turtle:Is this true

Unread post by maaz »

Well i dont know this...i read this first time...well who is turtle expert here..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

now that was something new.
Sushant
jack

Unread post by jack »

ishaan wrote:while surfing about turtles i came across this i want to know that is this necessary to be done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hibernate
Many turtles and reptiles need to hibernate. For land turtles a simple crate or stable cardboard box filled with moist peat or leaves, is suitable. In this box, the animals will rest from autumn to spring. To avoid disturbing them, place the box in a quiet place. Protect these animals from rodents because they are completely defenseless during hibernation. Suitable temperatures during hibernation are at 8 – 10°C (46 – 50°F).
Awakening in spring
In early spring, carefully bathe the awakening turtles in lukewarm water. The water must be shallow enough to allow the turtles to keep their head above water without any problem. They are still sleepy during this time and could drown if the level of the bathing water is too high!
Turtles drink while having their bath.

i have kept tortoise and turtles for quite some time, i have never seen turtles hibernate. but for the tortoise yes i have seen them. once a year they suddenly disappears and after few months they come back from hibernation.

but a good piece of info bro :):):)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
rimple
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rimple »

I have also kept turtle for 1.5 year. But he never hibernate. But in winter he had spent most of time out of the water and sit near the Elect.bulb heat.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it. (Margaret Fuller)
Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

Turtles dont usually hibernate. Its usually the tortoises that do during the onset of winter.

having said that, this behavior is a natural trigger that depends on a lot of factors with the biggest being the weather. A friend of mine has a tortoise with him and since it never really gets cold in Kerala, i havent seen it hibernate.
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

thanks all :)
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868