Max Temp RCS can take

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Max Temp RCS can take

Unread post by syed.ali »

I have setup one nano thank, which is about 15 liters of water.
The tank is kept outside, it receives about 2-3 hrs of direct sunlight.

This tank has 1 AC fan running on it non stop.

The only fauna in this tank is RCS.

Initially when the temperature was hover in 40-42 range, the tank temperature was hitting max of 28 C, that too in the peak after noon hrs, but ever since the temperature has being hitting 43+, the tank temperature has been hitting 32 and staying in 28-32 for quite some time.

I took out most of the good quality RCS from the tank but left few other as i wanted to see that the temperature they can bear and also i had lot of shrimplets which obviously cant take out.

To my surprise, i am not seeing any skeletons of the RCS in the tank, they are active as ever.

rather i have noticed new shrimplets in it.

what do others members have to say on this.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Max Temp RCS can take

Unread post by SCORPIO »

In an outside tank, RCS are surviving in 34 degree Celsius.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
syed.ali

SCORPIO wrote:In an outside tank, RCS are surviving in 34 degree Celsius.
Yes 666 I have seen going till 32 and RCS are there, i will post the pics of the tank with the temperature rating.
Dheeraj_Dj
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Dheeraj_Dj »

My problem seems to be with min temperature & more worried due to Bangalore winter.. so whats the min RCS & CRS can take?? I have both in my outdoor tank.

Cheers,
Dj
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Dheeraj, I have also kept RCS in 17-18 degree Celsius.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Dheeraj_Dj wrote:My problem seems to be with min temperature & more worried due to Bangalore winter.. so whats the min RCS & CRS can take?? I have both in my outdoor tank.

Cheers,
Dj
RCS no issues, CRS 18-20 is good but try to keep the water temp around 25 during summer..
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Amazing insights about RCS. I had some really good ones, but had fish with them due to space crunch. had I know they can survive in the summer like Syed Ali says, in a nano tank, I would have used my nano to house them oopsbig

What wonderful creatures they are, good looking, hardy, prolific. We should appreciate them more. They deserve their popularity.
syed.ali

Even right now that tank is out side, the temp are already hitting 15, no drop in RCS, they are doin great
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Lajpat Nagar (New Delhi) and Dharamshala, (Himachal Pradesh)

Unread post by djmankotia »

Sharing my experience here: In the past, I have kept RCS in a tray outside with Java Moss thrown in - no filteration, no aeration, and yes, no feeding. The tray used to get overflow water from the water tank through a pipe (gardening hose). The RCS readily survived the heat of Delhi, to my surprise, even multiplied. I guess water evaporating from an open surface really brings down the temperature a lot, especially with the wind outside. I was a bit skeptical they would jump out or get thrown out of the tray due to the flow of water through pipe. But they seem to adjust and hide in the corners to evade the flow whenever tank used to overflow, which I thought was simply amazing :dance . The colour of shrimps weren't really pronounced in the tray outside but I did notice that when few of these were put back in the my main tank with plants, substrate and lighting, the shrimps picked up colour after a few hours.

So yes, RCS are pretty hardy creatures and as Romi-ji pointed out, they definitely need more appreciation :clp