My shrimp connection

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

My shrimp connection

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

I still remember the first time I got my hands on my first shrimps ever (RCS) more than 3 years ago. I bought 25 RCS from a Pune LFS, who had ordered them specially for me (Back then they were not very common in Pune and still arent, have never seen any LFS stock them). I was so damn excited then, got them packed on the day of my return journey along with a couple of tetras and I set off happily from there. I would have taken out the shrimp packet at least 8-10 times during that 28 hour journey from the train. Everytime I used to look at them like a boy adoring a candy, with other passengers wondering what is in that packet. An uncle even asked me and was amazed to know that I had 6 tanks then.I got them the next morning, acclimatized them in a holding tank and for hours was looking at them, soon made this small 30 litres tank for them...

Those 25 quickly grew into hundreds and I started selectively breeding them with satisfactory results
everytime Romi used to visit my place he used to see a more deeply colored red shrimp...:)

Soon all of my tanks were full with RCS, even used to feed my very first Apistos with shrimps at least 2-3 times a week.... Got a few Amanos and decided to try some new shrimps and luckily a group order was placed with Andrewda and I was lucky enough to get a few more varieties like hodgarti and babulatis and boy was I glad to have had them.... Till recently had a tank full of babulatis (the green ones) before shifting to Dwarka.

Even had a chance to see some dwarf natives in their natural habitat and man it was a sight to behold

After shifting decided to make a new shrimp tank, got the permission to do so and quickly went and got all the accessories to make one....
Taaadaaa its ready with the help of wifey dearest...:)

Cycling

Sourced a few CRS from Abhishek Mallick (thanks to Abhishek Gaur for hand carrying them for me) and Wojtek. So here is my current shrimp tank (will always have one as I am addicted to these lovely inverts....:)). Lot of you would have seen it during the meet at my place.
Dimensions - 18"*12"*9"
Substrate - Shrimp sand
Decor - Driftwood
Plants - windelov java fern, Singapore moss (as identified by Romi), fissidens fontanus and marimo moss ball
Filtration- Sponge driven

The inhabitants

New arrivals...:)

Hope you guys have enjoyed my pictorial journey into this wonderful side of our hobby...:)
juanico

Re: My shrimp connection

Unread post by juanico »

congrats!

it one of the coolest moments, when you discover new micro CRS in the tank
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Congratulations!

Even I also want to keep CRS. They are always in my wish list. Please clear my following doubts:

1. What type of water are you using in this tank? Either RO or normal tape water.
2. You are keeping these in planted tank. Are you dosing with any source of carbon and fertilizers?
3. Acceptable temperature for CRS and Yellow shrimps. Can I put both types of shrimps in same tank?
4. Any other recommendations?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

juanico wrote:congrats!

it one of the coolest moments, when you discover new micro CRS in the tank
Thanks...:)
SCORPIO wrote:Congratulations!

Even I also want to keep CRS. They are always in my wish list. Please clear my following doubts:

1. What type of water are you using in this tank? Either RO or normal tape water.
I am using RO water, The TDS should be between 100-180PPM so you can try a RO and tap water mix accordingly, pH should be in the range of 6.2-6.8

2. You are keeping these in planted tank. Are you dosing with any source of carbon and fertilizers?
Yes they are housed in a planted tank (pic is given above) and No, I am not using any source of carbon or any ferts in this tank

3. Acceptable temperature for CRS and Yellow shrimps. Can I put both types of shrimps in same tank?
Temp required is in the range of 22-24DC, Yes you can keep both in the same tank as the yellow shrimp are neocaridina and hence wont breed with the CRS, but it is advisable not to as the yellow shrimp will breed faster and would outcompete the CRS in the long term, unless offcourse you keep their population in control by culling them

4. Any other recommendations?
You would also require some good quality food for better coloration
jack

Unread post by jack »

What a collection :) hats off !!
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Thanks Vijendra for clear my doubts.

1. TDS of tape water in my area hangs around 130. My RO unit water TDS is around 10 so no problem of water. pH is around 6.8 to 7.0 so I will use Indian Almond leaves in the setup.

2. I will prefer various kind of mosses and Marselia hirsuta for the tank.

3. Temperature is not a problem at all.

4. I am planning to import some good quality products required for shrimps including food/substrate etc. Others may also get benefit.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

The best shrimp I have seen in person were at always at Vijjy's place coolbig I felt personally bad when his super Red Cherry Line died out due to neglect grrr :mrgreen:

Now I am enchanted with his yellow shrimps, they have not only a refreshing translucent colour but good vigour and a swimming style that is very like the Opae ula. Cool thread!
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

lovely write up...love the images as usual.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Good one Vijender :)
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rajivzee »

Very enjoyable.. very nice post
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain