new inclusions

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

new inclusions

Unread post by slowpoison »

I am thinking of adding some blue pearl and dark green shrimp in my 4' 75g planted tank, complete with a 1.5ft drift and rocks. The reason I mentioned DW and rocks is the hiding places. I would be keeping a few schools of green neon, black neon and ember tetra(and will add some mosquito rasbora later). Has anybody had any practical experience keeping such small fish with shrimps? Is there still a possibility of shrimplets becoming a meal for my rasboras & tetras? All opinions and feedback welcome. :)

Edit: Also as far as clams/snails(Malaysian Trumpet Snail) are concerned, are they bad for planted tanks with hc or D hairgrass carpets since they burrow under the substrate. Is there a chance that they can keep uprooting plants?
Last edited by slowpoison on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Arijit
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: new inclusions

Unread post by saikumar »

I think better question will be to ask if all shrimplets get eaten- if so answer will be NO.

Btw from where do you source emperor tetra from?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Sai Bhai, I am not agree to you.

If there will be no proper hiding place, all of the above mentioned fishes including mosquito rasbora will not eat the fish food. They will engage only in searching baby shrimps. Within few months, the population of shrimps will be end.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

saikumar wrote:I think better question will be to ask if all shrimplets get eaten- if so answer will be NO.

Btw from where do you source emperor tetra from?
emperor tetra is not commonly found in all lfs. You can try some reliable lfs to get them for you or online via petme.in or finsnflora. If lfs, just make sure they can distinguish between emperor tetra and penguin tetra.
Regards,
Arijit
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

SCORPIO wrote:Sai Bhai, I am not agree to you.

If there will be no proper hiding place, all of the above mentioned fishes including mosquito rasbora will not eat the fish food. They will engage only in searching baby shrimps. Within few months, the population of shrimps will be end.
(Im sorry Rajivji, could you elaborate on this please?)

But I have seen few people with cardinals, ember and rummys keeping rcs quite safely and breeding them too?!
Maybe I will have to experiment with the cheaper varieties first. The blue pearls would be too costly a meal for my fish:(
Regards,
Arijit
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

You can keep Shrimps with mentioned fishes in planted tanks. Once I have kept RCS with mosquito rasboras. There are not I am surprised when I saw that rasboras attacking on shrimplets.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

what about the clams and other molluscs in the freshwater planted tank? do they uproot the carpet while digging?
Regards,
Arijit
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Small fish like mosquitoes can be easily kept with adult shrimps but the do eat shr

Small fish like mosquitoes can easily be kept with shrimps but they do go after shrimplets. If the tank is heavily planted and have lots of hiding space than they can be even kept larger tetras, I have kept few with my congos but have never seen them multiply

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk
Sushant
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

thats not good news :(
Regards,
Arijit
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquascapist »

slowpoison wrote:what about the clams and other molluscs in the freshwater planted tank? do they uproot the carpet while digging?
dont know about clams but if you are talking about trumpet snails, do not worry they dont uproot your carpet. i have several of them in my tank with hairgrass without any uprooting problem.
Warm Regards,
Aditya