Freshwater Clam

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Freshwater Clam

Unread post by Naufil »

I want to keep a freshwater clam in a planted tank with fish. How viable is the idea.
Where are they sold? What does it eat? How does it breed? Have you ever kept one?
Please give me some detailed answers.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Freshwater Clam

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice idea. Never kept but know the source in Delhi/NCR.

They eat left over food and detritus in aquarium.

Keeping an eye on your topic.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Thank you for replying <3
Where are they available in Delhi?

I was doing some reading about clams on the web and some sites say that they can die due to starvation if there is less food swimming in the water column.
Though I am a dirty fish keeper. So if I keep one there is bound to be a lot of detritus swimming around in the aquarium for it to eat.
Also some sites said that due to its burrowing habit it can uproot plants. I am not too sure about that though.
How can a 2 inch, slow as a snail, critter uproot plants?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Naufil wrote:Where are they available in Delhi?
Yamuna river. Visit near Yamuna ban near Wazirabad.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Awesome!
Will I have to dig in the sand or they above the sand?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Naufil wrote:Awesome!
Will I have to dig in the sand or they above the sand?
If you will reach there early in the morning, you can collect them without digging.

slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by slowpoison »

are these ok with carpeting plants? do they attack fries and juv shrimp? sorry didn't mean to hijack, but thought it was relevant to the thread and in conjunction with Naufil's question.
Regards,
Arijit
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

freshwater clams are not easy to keep because they need a lot of organic matter in the water being filter feeders. A typical home aquarium of say 2 feet will not be able to sustainably give them enough to eat beyond a few days, perhaps even less than that, depending on the size of the clam... then the clam will STARVE to death. And when a clam dies, trust me, it will foul the water in a way that will surprise you.

they are not for beginners anyway, from intermediate to advanced aquarists, they move jerkily, sit stonily, are very unconventional and liable to cause loss of interest in the fish keeper's mind unless he is really knowledgeable.

So you need to do your own research, heuristic learning. Do not bring them and then keep them and then realize their limitations. the species need to be identified...

A golden species is sold in the West. its needs have been confirmed through experience. the indian species might be different and need its own research.

Here is an article about these interesting creatures. remember on google, do not see the information given by sellers. a seller will tell lies to make profits. always rely on disinterested parties like experienced fish keepers like the one who wrote this article.

http://isadorapandora.hubpages.com/hub/ ... -Aquariums
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by slowpoison »

okies. im putting away this project, but only for now. Maybe a few months later.... when I know more about them.
Regards,
Arijit
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

slowpoison wrote:sorry didn't mean to hijack, but thought it was relevant to the thread and in conjunction with Naufil's question.
Any post that is relevant to the thread topic or adds to the knowledge of the thread is more than welcome.
No need to apologize :)
slowpoison wrote:are these ok with carpeting plants?
I can't say for sure because I am yet to keep one but because of their digging habit they might uproot some plants.
slowpoison wrote:do they attack fries and juv shrimp?
They don't. They are filter feeders, not predators. They don't have the equipment to attack anything.

P.S: Love your name. You kill me softly ;)