Want to add shrimps to my tank. What changes do I need?

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Want to add shrimps to my tank. What changes do I need?

Unread post by vasishta.sushant »

Here is the pic of my current aquarium and it might see some more changes (addition of few more carpeting plants - dwarf sag/ tennulus. Possibly some anubias nana on the wood). Have 5 mollies, two red eye tetra, four zebra danio, two SAEs, one pleco already in the tank. Also as soon as they'll be available, I plan to add 4 nerite snails in this 29G tank.

Not using any pressurized CO2 but I add Flourish Excel intermittently. Would be introducing EI dosing soon.
FishTank.jpg
Now what changes do I need to make to ensure that the shrimps survive and possibly reproduce as well. Additionally if it possible, help me some place in gurgaon from where I can purchase RCS for cheap.

More Plants??? (suggest me the names please)
Hiding spots?? (Would the tennelus carpeting be enough?)
Removal of any specific fish? (help me with the name please)
Any other addition?

PS: Not planning to add them right now. Possibly after a month or so but needed to do all the preparation within this time and thus the thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30x18x18 Tank | ADA Amazonia | EHEIM Classic 2217 | Finnex RAY2 LED | EHEIM Jager | Pressurized CO2

Learning to sustain...
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Want to add shrimps to my tank. What changes do I need?

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Shrimps are invertebrates. Small defenceless creatures. A shrimp tank is mostly a shrimp only tank.

I don't have one...but this was the advice given to me by my friends on Aquapetz when I asked the same question. I followed the advice.
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Well lets say I don't want to listen to that advice and still want to have shrimps in the same tank. What are my options?
30x18x18 Tank | ADA Amazonia | EHEIM Classic 2217 | Finnex RAY2 LED | EHEIM Jager | Pressurized CO2

Learning to sustain...
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Mollies, Red eye tetra, Zebra danio, SAEs, all of these are monsters for these little creatures. You can make as hiding places but mollies and Danio will not accept any food while shrimps will be there. With present list of fishes, they will disappear within a few days. Only several fishes are compatible with shrimps. So it is best to make another tank for shrimps. They can live in a 1 foot cube.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

The ONLY 100% shrimp safe fish is Otto. All others will eat shrimps in due course.
---
Amol
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

The ONLY 100% shrimp safe fish is Otto. All others will eat shrimps in due course.
---
Amol
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

As mentioned either get Otto or if you can get panda loach are also shrimp safe!!!
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

All the fish that I have are just for initial setup. One of my friends have this group of Cardinal tetras staying comfortably with his RCS. I wanted to have something similar but with Cardinal tetras replaced by some other fish.

Anyway, I am ready to let go all my current fauna, if it's required.

Btw are the Ottos readily available? Never seen them at any LFS around. How much do they generally cost?

(posted with my mobile device)

Learning to sustain...
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

vasishta.sushant wrote:One of my friends have this group of Cardinal tetras staying comfortably with his RCS
Cardinals always feel comfortable and luxurious along with RCS. Cardinals are predators for RCS. But you can keep them if you have lots of hiding places.
vasishta.sushant wrote:Cardinal tetras replaced by some other fish.
Horadandia brittani, Horadandia atukorali, Boraras brigittae
vasishta.sushant wrote:Btw are the Ottos readily available?
Occasionally they available in Delhi/NCR.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks for the detailed reply @scorpio.

I realized that unfortunately I'll have to make a lot many changes to my tank. Honestly the fish that you mentioned (Horadandia brittani, Horadandia atukorali, Boraras brigittae) didn't seem to be so attractive to me. So my bet is mostly on getting the cardinals/tetras probably along with lots of hiding space for the shrimps.

Now that the weather is getting better, I am hoping to see lot many options in the adjoining LFS (gurgaon/delhi) in the next few weeks.

What is the ongoing rate of ottos?

Learning to sustain...