why my cards are dying ?

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
raphael2k2000
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

why my cards are dying ?

Unread post by raphael2k2000 »

friends, why my cards are dying ? Bought 4 cards on this sunday, 2 already died. Have canister for filteration. Other fishes - 6 guppies, 1 orange tetra, 1 tiger tetra; 1 pencil fish; 3 orange danios
-------
Thanks, Shekhar
+91 9831013911
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: why my cards are dying ?

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I am unable to identify "cards". Is it cardinal tetra or some other fish.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
raphael2k2000
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by raphael2k2000 »

SCORPIO wrote:I am unable to identify "cards". Is it cardinal tetra or some other fish.
yes. Cards = cardinal tetra
-------
Thanks, Shekhar
+91 9831013911
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Cardinal Tetras are a difficult fish to keep. There are four parts to the cardinal story...

Part 1 - Transit - they fare very poorly in transit. Mortality is very very high. Hence the price of the fish in an LFS is exorbitant.
Part 2 - New water conditions - again, cardinals prefer higher temperatures and clean water. They are notoriously difficult to acclimatize. And the hard water of North India does not help the cause.
Part 3 - Source of cardinals - over the years, due to captive breeding, the immunity of fish like cardinals and neons has gone down substantially.
Part 4 - Settled down - once cardinals have settled down, they are very very hardy fish....in fact far more hardy than Neons. For example, Rajiv Banerjee's cardinals have survived a nuclear holocaust :clp .

One more thing I have personally noticed about cardinals - they need properly designed free swimming space. For example, cardinals will do far better in a 2 feet wide tank rather than a one feet one.

So if this is the firs time you are keeping this fish, don't lose heart. Try and read about cardinals and keep the remaining two safe.