fish quality in local (delhi) lfs

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
puneet
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: fish quality in local (delhi) lfs

Unread post by puneet »

ya right sushant...
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

i buy from any LFS at all becuase know they have the same source.

:lol:

ich is so easy to cure. just jack up the heat and leav it there for over a week. over 80 degrees F. Just google it. u can use 'desi' (uniodized) salt. just gooogle!
the only fish i dont buy are those that look WEAK. That shows in clamped and opaque fins, concave stomachs, gasping.

lif is easy if u become an observant person. and learn as you go.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Fish Point at Sarojini Nagar keeps the water cleaner compared to other LFS. This is relative of course.

In my experience , tetras have the highest mortality rate in the chain (Supplier -> Wholeseller -> LFS -> Hobby Tank). If you ever get an opportunity to visit the wholeseller in Laxmi Nagar , you will see the appalling water conditions in which fish are kept.

I look mostly at the fins and the belly - fins for disease and belly for food intake. Most fish in the LFS are so scared that they don't eat. If they don't eat , they fall sick - fins torn , white , scarred etc.

The best option is to quarantine. This reduces the initial water-shock to a large extent and helps the fish acclimatise to your tank. I also do not feed the fish to 2-3 days after getting them from the LFS. By the 4th day , they are hungry like hell and actively hunt for food.

I have a suggestion - why dont we - the Delhi members of Aquapetz , organise a small conference or workshop , where we invite LFS owners ? We can educate them on basic techniques to keep fish safe. This will help them improve their business as mortality will be low. In my view , even if two owners turn up , well....you may have two shops from where you can buy `safe' fish.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Apuda, that is an excellent idea. and a very proactive step in helping the hobby along in NCR. i know Gaurav Shukla from the childrens park shop in india gate, will agree to come. i can call him and see. that laxmi nagar guy is likly to be too self-satisfied with his massive profits to bother. ditto that sarojini nagar Rajendra. dead fish dont faze them as long as their hearts tick till they are bagged and sold. the window is often small enough for them to get rid of fish so fast such practices are not so crucial to profits. so u suggest the second one.... ;) In anand parbat, all of them will plead they can't lose one business day to learn what they will insist they know already. ...

maybe we can corner them in the next aquapetz meeting? :lol: One guy in anand parbat will agree to come if i ask him! but i think he knows as much as us already. one of the few such men. he has that corner shop closest to rohtak road.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Posting to renew.
Old thread but worth renewing.
Romi wrote:i buy from any LFS at all becuase know they have the same source.
Where or What is this source? Where do all the fish in Delhi come from? I want to know. (almost sounds like I am demanding an answer XD)
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Chennai Mumbai Kolkata
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

parthapratim22 wrote:Chennai Mumbai Kolkata
:1 But at present some lfs sourcing fishes from some other cities and abroad.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

oh! now I know. Thanks :)