Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

jackdanio wrote:Interesting write up! Are they easily available?
Thanks, not sure about their availability locally, I got these from Andrewda...:)
syed.ali wrote:nice tank viji
Thanks...:)
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Unread post by Romi »

These fish are genuine puffer fish, a totally freshwater species. perhaps the only true freshwater species.... their amazing intelligence, ability to see two different objects with each eye, moving one eye in one direction and the other in the other direction, their instant reaction time, their yellow-gold-spotted colour, make them a unique species. They are found in just one river in the world, and they should be treated with respect and full attention, even if they are cheaply available now.

they need frozen food or live food, and I think they cannot survive on Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) alone. Perhaps they don't even like them that much and can damage their teeth on them possibly.

Vijendra's set up is a dream coolbig As are these pics! I did not notice the 'wrinkles' of the males earlier, but now I can :D

They are exported worldwide and sold for high prices. I hope the govt of India bans their export because their habitat is deteriorating fast. I think Andrewda should price them higher or sell them only to dedicated hobbyists because they cannot live on dry food, need a lot of space, and are territorial. they are not for beginners or for non-dedicated keepers.