please ID these worms

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

please ID these worms

Unread post by juanico »

in one of my tanks (otocinclus is the only fish) white worms appeared.
they feed on debris and excess fish food and propagate.
they live on the ground of the tank, size max 8mm, thin as microfex.

any idea what this might be?
...i never introduced any kinds of worms to this tank. the plant never came in contact with any worms

sushant

Re: please ID these worms

Unread post by sushant »

these are not microfex???????
Sushant
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

sushant wrote:these are not microfex???????
nops microfex are red in color got to know about this few days back

and i am also having these worms in one of my tank with only ottos :lol: what a coincidence i observed then 2-3 days back
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

then may be its planaria. check the link http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/ ... ite_worms/
Sushant
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

The worms i have kept are all annelid worms (white, grindals, microfex, compost worms) , and by now i think i have a good understanding of the shape their bodies are when they move. These don't seem to be annelid worms at all. So the likelihood of them being planaria is high. Especially since they are common in overfed tanks.

If u feel like it, do post pics on this website. The experts will confirm the ID for u

http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/ ... ite_worms/
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

Romi wrote:The worms i have kept are all annelid worms (white, grindals, microfex, compost worms) , and by now i think i have a good understanding of the shape their bodies are when they move. These don't seem to be annelid worms at all. So the likelihood of them being planaria is high. Especially since they are common in overfed tanks.

If u feel like it, do post pics on this website. The experts will confirm the ID for u

i suppose they appear in all my tanks, but only in the otocinclus-tank they are not eaten.
do you think they can be cultured as live food?
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Romi wrote:The worms i have kept are all annelid worms (white, grindals, microfex, compost worms) , and by now i think i have a good understanding of the shape their bodies are when they move. These don't seem to be annelid worms at all. So the likelihood of them being planaria is high. Especially since they are common in overfed tanks.

somewhere they were mentioned as being "nematodes". though no specific name was mentioned,just that they can be one of the 10,000 aquatic forms nematodes and can be either parasatic/ scavenger. Never heard a more vague identification of species :?. the identification s so narrow that they have included almost every aquatic Nematode :roll
Sushant
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

look like white worms too me...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

maaz wrote:look like white worms too me...
from whatever limited knowledge i have about white worms, i guess they require damp substrate and don't exist under water. Romi or Aamir would be able to give a better explanation for the same.
Sushant
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

sushant wrote:
maaz wrote:look like white worms too me...
from whatever limited knowledge i have about white worms, i guess they require damp substrate and don't exist under water. Romi or Aamir would be able to give a better explanation for the same.
Sushant has made a simple but very clear point. I agree. We might know little but it is better to be sure of what we know.

Maaz had once made a thread where he declared he had white worms. If these worms are what he was talking about then, it means that he uses the term very generally. In the hobby of fish keeping a very specific species is called White Worms. That species is Enchytraeus buchholzi. The species in India that hobbyists like me and Arjun Tandon found must be from the same genus at least because it ate the same food, lived the same way, and needed cool temperatures as White Worms are know to do. Here is the wikipedia article on it for those who don't know but like to use the term for any worm-like creature that seems 'white' in appearance. They should read up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchytraeus_buchholzi

I wish Maaz had posted their pictures also as requested. Then their ID also could have been pursued. Confusion must be avoided because it damages the hobby and repells people who get irritated by the confusion and lack of reliable information.

I am 90% sure these are not an annelid worm, so they cannot be White Worms.

Sushant, Nematodes are not so foreign or strange as you might think. They are often dangerous parastic worms we have all learnt in school about the diseases they cause. They are common. Half of the known species are parasites in animals, human included, like pinworms, roundworms, ascaris, hookworms, whipworms. They are NOT the worms we fishkeepers should see as live food for sure! :roll: