need daphnia culture

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Lajpat Nagar (New Delhi) and Dharamshala, (Himachal Pradesh)

Re: need daphnia culture

Unread post by djmankotia »

Romi wrote: Amol knows a place where fairy shrimp are available in NCR, would you like me to talk to him and ask him if he can help you get some?
The place is not in NCR, its Nashik. I'm in touch with him and we are working on it.
Romi wrote:I have been looking for Gammarus for some time. I remember a looong time ago, when I was maybe 12 years, and we went to Anantnag in Kashmir (now called Islamaband by some) and were looking into the paved pathways of the ancient mineral spring re-named Chasme-shahi by the Mughals. This beautiful and crystal clear fountain of water sustained an amazingly dense population of gammarus. I put them in bottles, thinking they were shrimp, but was dissappointed to note that they were not swimming straight (curved body looks like it needs to stretch a bit!). If you could find them, we could culture them much more easily than any other crustacean, since they are happy to live on any dying vegetation, including green leafy vegetatbles.
Romi, from your description, I think I have seen them in a glacial lake (altitude more than 4000 mtrs above MSL) during one of my treks in Himachal. They were exactly like you mentioned - curved, shrimp-like body, swimming in a little awkward motion and grazing on the stones and rocks underwater. Like you, even I was so intrigued, assuming them to be freshwater shrimps, so I collected some and put them in a water bottle but they had died by the time we reached the base-camp. I could never figure-out why they died because there was not much temperature difference between source and base-camp. But I was definitely amazed as to how this life form could survive at such altitude and inclement weather, considering the lake remains frozen for almost 6 months in a year!!!