SNAILS !

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
sushant

Re: SNAILS !

Unread post by sushant »

juanico wrote:setting up a tank is creating an ecological system.
tiny as the tanks are, these artificial ecological systems are not very stable and easily prone to get out of balance.
snails are just a part of it and contribute to the stability of the system.
huge amounts of snails only occur if they have enough food...such as not eaten fish food, dead plants...

now imagine you don't have this cleaning guards...everything decays in the tank and pollutes the water a lot, bacteria find perfect condition for their outbreak.
the result might become a disaster for fish and shrimps.

i do not really understand why people suggest various methods to fight snails.
you just get rid of one symptom, but you do not fight the cause of the problem...which makes it even worse.
:1
same applies to algae, people desperately try getting rid of them overlooking the reasons that actually caused the breakout. As a result the war against algae is unending.
Sushant
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

Snail in tank that means good ecological system in our tanks wht you says guys..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
marsaiko

Unread post by marsaiko »

I got a interesting question.

What is the lifespan of the MTS? suppose I find the huge population today, and I control the feeding and dead plants, how many days ll it take to reduce the population conciderablly?
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Most of the snails regulate birth control on the basis of availability of food. If there is plenty of food they will multiply rapidly. Most of times they prefer to give eggs on glass surface or broad leaf plants. So try to find their eggs and spoil. It is the best way to control their population.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Snail in tank that means good ecological system in our tanks wht you says guys..
snail in not an indicator of ecological system(either good or bad), it just a part of it. good or bad depends on how balanced the system is.
What is the lifespan of the MTS? suppose I find the huge population today, and I control the feeding and dead plants, how many days ll it take to reduce the population conciderablly?
lifespan of snails are temperature dependent, they tend to live longer in cooler temperature, in case of MTS around 2 yrs. but when feeding is controlled they will compete with each other for food and most of them will die of hunger, leaving only the strongest few that the tank can now support.
Sushant
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

okies and there is some other reason for these...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

sushant wrote: same applies to algae, people desperately try getting rid of them overlooking the reasons that actually caused the breakout. As a result the war against algae is unending.
yes exactly
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I learnt to respect snails after many years of seeing them as yucky and avoidable. That was when i learnt that each snail carries an especially huge army of microrganisms in itself. This is because most snails sold are herbivorous (only feeding on dead fish etc. when available) and need them to digest their food properly. You might be surprized to know that healthy human beings (not completely herbivorous either, usually :D ) have more micro-organisms in their intestines then they have cells in their body. This is because we also use them to help us break down the food we eat, and that is why we need an intestine that is several feet long, 20 feet usually. When a snail is added to a tank, these microorganisms benefit the tank. They can help jumpstart the cycling process in a new tank, or even help supply infusoria for fry, just a few among endless such benefits.

Give me an attractive Red Ramshorn any day, and i will be delighted. Keeps anubis shiny clean! A common yellow Mystery Snail is also useful, and the small pond snails (Physa sp.) are excellent live food for my Badis badis. They eat whatever they find, they behave unless u make some major mistakes in feeding. What's not to like? ?

On a side note, i must confess, if u have Malayan Trumpet Snails (MTS), and nocturnal fish like plecos that need to be left something to eat overnight, u will have a major problem on your hands. You feed extra so that the shy fish willl not go hungry, but the snails are faster and more thourough. That is why it is best to keep them with another very interesting and useful snail, Assassin Snails!
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

Interesting points coming up.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »