Usage of SUMP..

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Usage of SUMP..

Unread post by maaz »

I have some question regarding Sump and protein skimmer. I understand the usage of protein skimmer in reef tank and searched too many topic about this but still i have lost of doubts in my mind :?:

how old setup i have to need to keep in starting.
how many old water i have to use it.
how much salt.
what are requirements .
Why sump required saltwater tank.

and many more question but still very confused..need your help guys what your comments on this..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
jack

Re: Usage if SUMP..

Unread post by jack »

lemme give it a try (this is just from some reading available on net)

1) if the tank is scarcely populated with just few fish and huge tank with frequent water change you can manage to do without skimmer, but it is advisable to have one. it removes excess waste from the water colum.

2)sump is require to make maintenance easy, to keep the equipements and hide unnecessary clutter. it is also better to grow algae, to keep agressive fish and much more. 100's of benefits

3) canisters are not option to go for as they hold up nitrates and that is harmful for the tank (read on internet, but have seen few successful tanks with UGF and basic filtration system aswell)

now let the experts pop in and answer i am not the right person to give satisfactory answers these are just my 2 cents. i also have questions same as you do, m following ;)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

As Jack has already mentioned some of the benefits of sump, i will like to add some more info. to it:

working of a sump is just like any other filter and provider mechanical as well as biological filteration.since the total surface area of the filter material (due to the large volume) is much more than a compact filters like submersed/HOD/canister filter thus it provides greater degree of both mechanical and biological filter.

sump filter don't require salt for its working and can be easily used for any fresh water tank with same results. the only drawback would be that in case of planted tank the loss of Co2 would be to high.
Sushant
jack

Unread post by jack »

the other disadvantage i would like to add is if the owerflow is not designed properly loss of water can be caused
maaz

Re: Usage of SUMP..

Unread post by maaz »

ok...any other advantages and disadvantages of using these bcoz i didnt understand the concept of sump using...i understand what is usage of protein skimmer...

how old setup we need for the reef fishes and plants..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
jack

Unread post by jack »

to set up a reef tank you need much more advance setup and special equipments.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

maaz wrote:ok...any other advantages and disadvantages of using these bcoz i didnt understand the concept of sump using...i understand what is usage of protein skimmer...

how old setup we need for the reef fishes and plants..
there is nothing to understand other than the basic knowledge of filtration, just hook it up to your tank and let it cycle, as you would have done with any other filter ( refer to information how to cycle the tank for more info. on water parameters.
Sushant
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

ok this is used to keep the water parameter same all the time....
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

maaz wrote:ok this is used to keep the water parameter same all the time....
not directly. it is used for filteration (mechanical as well as biological), biological filteration through nitrogen cycle converts Ammonia to nitrite and then to least harmful nitrate which can then be removed through water changes.

sump also increase the overall volume of the tank ( for eg.: if your tanks volume is 100L and sump can hold 50L then the overall volume of tank would be 150L), and larger volume means that water parameters will remain constant for longer time as compared to smaller tank.
Sushant
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

that means in time of water change we done need to start new process..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com