red claw shrimps

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

red claw shrimps

Unread post by Aquachem »

Hi guys,
had been away for a loong time. so HI again. did a lot of things with my tank and also suffered some catastrophe. did a fert substrate setup,got CO2 system and all, plants were doing great, then 1 fine day the tank leaked, and 1 fine day regulator buzzed off and it gassed all my wonderful ramirezis, with 1 breeding pair. so i waited for sometime and now got 2 black neons from a shop where there weren't anymore so waiting to find more black neons.

meanwhile 2 days back i added 2 red claw shrimps ( my first time with shrimps). amazingly active creatures, very interesting to look at and all, except yesterday at night i noticed that the dominant shrimp which is a little bully and a bigger attacked my black neon. easily sitting on a big apono leaf, it waited till the neon got a little still and then jumped on it. they scurried for a fraction of a sec and then the neon managed to get away. the shrimps aren't very big. 1.15 inch - the big one.

so i've seperated them and planning to get some red cherry.

any input on such behavior. ??
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: red claw shrimps

Unread post by Abhi »

Pics would be better in judging, if they are shrimps or crayfish
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

ok. while i get a pic, how do you tell the difference when they are young? the ones i have are transparent with claws that have red and blueblack stripes. in my belief it is - Macrobrachium assamense
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

here are the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

luckily for you, they are shrimp alright. But what size they are is important too, for ID. A photo that shows the shrimp laterally will be good.

Crayfish with fish would have been a bad idea from day one, but large shrimp can be dangerous to fish too.
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

hmm, they are about 1.15 inch, not much. but yeah i guess they were troubling the tetra cuz they had a little troubled look on their face. now the shrimps are in a bowl. will exchange for red cherry
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Looks like a Macrobrachium pilimanus (Chameleon shrimp)

They have long arms that enable them to snatch smaller critters and food. Do not expect small fish and dwarf shrimps to survive with them as they will readily snatch and make a meal out of them. They do come in a lot of color varient, my dad has a red one.
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

yeah, i think that's it then cuz the shopkeeper said that this has a red variant too. so i guess taking them out would be a good idea and i'd get red cherry shrimps to keep with my black neon tetra. !!??
vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Aquachem wrote:yeah, i think that's it then cuz the shopkeeper said that this has a red variant too. so i guess taking them out would be a good idea and i'd get red cherry shrimps to keep with my black neon tetra. !!??
RCS would be a better option with neons, these guys (the Chameleon) you can keep with slightly bigger non agressive fish....
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

cool, thanx a lot guys