The Road Less Travelled :):)

Post your tank progress here from day 1.
jack

The Road Less Travelled :):)

Unread post by jack »

hey friends,

this is my first try to make my journal, and will maintain this once i start working on it

this thread will need patience, please read and experts help me out. I am planning to strip down my green jungle http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/commu ... ic&t=26535
this december and plan to do something new,

i am not sure if i can use the reference in public or not, but my plan is to make something similar to ''one step closer'' check out the video on you tube for this.

Current Tank Specs:

This tank was initiated in January 2011, it has been a year and I was never successful in growing any carpet plant, it is my dream to grow a thick carpet of delicate plant.

Substrate: layer of clay and contro soil

Lightening: 4 X 54 W T5's

Filtration: eheim 2217

Co2: Pressurized co2 with 1-2 BPS, runs on solonoid valve

Fertilizers: API leaf Zone

Fish: Glowlight Terta, Ottos,

Inverts: Snails, RCS

So now the tank I am planning will be as follows, a Hi-Tec tank,

Substrate: currently I have layer of clay and contro soil.

QUESTION 1: can I use the same substrate? if yes them the substrate will be messed up by uprooting the existing plants, then remove half the quantity and topping up with ADA ?? will this be right call ?

Lightening: at present 4 X 54 W T5's, to get a good carpet growth high light intensity is needed, so my plan is to go for MH

QUESTION 2: how to choose a good MH, what watt? What Kelvin? How much it will cost me?

QUESTION 3: how to designe a roof that supports a MH and also has a fan, What should be the distance of water surface and MH

QUESTION 4: is MH a good call or LEDS? If LED I am totally new to LED please guide me

QUESTION 5: will the tank and roof will be able to hold the weight of the tank ??

Co2: Pressurized co2 with 1-2 BPS, will run on solenoid valve and on timer

Fertilizers: API leaf Zone

QUESTION 6: anything extra needs to be added ??

Temperature: will be maintained at 25 degrees Celsius, if I get the chiller else 28-32

QUESTION 7: which chiller to buy ?

Fish: the tank is cycled but after rescaping will do religiously water change for a week and then plan to add fish,
25 pairs of cardinal Tetra,
1 Nos. SAE
10 Nos. ottos
10 Nos Amano shrimps
few RCS
(Snail eater snail, assasian snail if need ne)

Plants: the plants I have planned for this aquascape are

jumbo hairgrass
corkscrew vals
glosso OR Hemianthus callitrichoides cuba (please suggest)

I am not sure this plant might look good in this type of layout, a jumbo plant in center or a corner,
aponogeton bovinos OR Crenum OR Crispus OR Madagascar lace

QUESTION 8: how will a jumbo plant look?

Hardscape: searching for dark black rock, similar to Seiryu Stone

QUESTION 9: where can I get that these stones? If any one knows, can PM me the price or contact details of that place.

Filter - ehehim 2217 is current, planing for a second sunsun or elite crystal flo 80,(currently my LFS have it in stock and the price is reasonable to my knowledge) the second filter I am getting is just as a backup army, but the tank will run on both the filter

QUESTION 10: which filter to get? And what capacity? Is elite a good call? Have any one experience with that? How much I can pay for elite crystal flo 80?

Background: white, black, blue

QUESTION 11: which background to go with? that shows the depth of the scape?

My plan is to get the chiller by end of this month, followed by the filter, design new roof, buying and setting up new lights and finally stripping down the tank.
ROCKS are the main requirement to this aquascape, please help me find those.

To change present aquarium in my house is not a kids play, there are many difficulties, as no one likes aquariums or pets or animals. So very difficult battling with every one.

Also have a 4 footer lying on 1st floor, trying to do a tang setup since last 1 year but not able to lol

Experts and fellow hobbyist are more than welcomed to give their suggestions/ views/ inputs and critique my plan. I will be more than happy to discuss and answer in this discussion.

each and every reply will be respected and valued.
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Road Less Travelled :):)

Unread post by SCORPIO »

QUESTION 1: can I use the same substrate? if yes them the substrate will be messed up by uprooting the existing plants, then remove half the quantity and topping up with ADA ?? will this be right call ?

Ans 1: No problem in using this substrate. First of all uproot plants and put those in a tub. Now remove the top layer of substrate. Make your hardscape and do plantation again.

Your present light is enought to grow any type foreground plants like as glosso, hairgrass, staurogyne sp. etc. No need to change the lights.

QUESTION 2: how to choose a good MH, what watt? What Kelvin? How much it will cost me?
Ans 2: I have not ever used MH in planted tanks so no any experience. Kelvin should be between 5700K to 6500K.

QUESTION 3: how to designe a roof that supports a MH and also has a fan, What should be the distance of water surface and MH

Ans 3: The distance of MH should be atleast 1 feet above from water surface. You can join two vertical pipe with the stand in both back sides. Now make a roof using those pipes above the aquarium and hang the fans and lights.

QUESTION 4: is MH a good call or LEDS? If LED I am totally new to LED please guide me

Ans: LED is good option. Sushant can guide you better than me.

QUESTION 5: will the tank and roof will be able to hold the weight of the tank ??

Roof pipes should be joint with the stand so there will be no weight on the tank. However you can directly put the MH on the aquarium. But if you put directly on the aquarium, they will start to boil the water in summers.

QUESTION 6: anything extra needs to be added ??

You can use Flourish Excel to boost the plant growth and get away the algae and snails.

QUESTION 7: which chiller to buy ?
Ans : Depends on your budget. If you can maintain temperature up to 28 degree Celsius, no need of chiller. Just install two industrial fans.

jumbo hairgrass
corkscrew vals
glosso OR Hemianthus callitrichoides cuba (please suggest)

No need of cycling the tank, if you using your old substrate and filter. You can also use your 25% old water.
Don't grow vals otherwise they will be grab all the aquarium in a few days.
Glosso is a easy plant but HC need a special care.

QUESTION 8: how will a jumbo plant look?
Ans: Please clear your question.

QUESTION 9: where can I get that these stones? If any one knows, can PM me the price or contact details of that place.
They are expensive. I have seen those stones with ADA in Aquatika 2010 held in Delhi.

QUESTION 10: which filter to get? And what capacity? Is elite a good call? Have any one experience with that? How much I can pay for elite crystal flo 80?

Ans: Your 2217 is enough.

QUESTION 11: which background to go with? that shows the depth of the scape?
Ans: White and Black, both the background suited to planted tanks. I have used black/blue/white backgrounds with planted tanks. http://aquapetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=66 Here you can judge which color will be best.

You have to find the rocks in your locality.
In starting my family also against the aquariums but now I have developed some good aquariums and there behave also changed. :lol: Now all of the family members are neutral.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jack

Unread post by jack »

Thanks Rajivbro, this is really very helpful ☺☺ again few queries,

As you mentioned “your present light is enought to grow any type foreground plants like as glosso, hairgrass, staurogyne sp. etc. No need to change the lights”

I have never been succesfull in growing any type of carpet or miniature plants, they always have melted away, so the reason might be my lights (that is my thinking)

QUESTION A: So if the light is sufficient what is the probable reason?

QUESTION B: what is the lightening you use in your planted tanks?

QUESTION C: how much LED costs for tank of my size ?

“You can use Flourish Excel to boost the plant growth and get away the algae and snails”

QUESTION D: I plan to keep shrimps, using excel will create problem ????

“Depends on your budget. If you can maintain temperature up to 28 degree Celsius, no need of chiller. Just install two industrial fans”
“currently it runs on fans only but not satisfied with the result, and evaporation is also in huge quantity”

and more I have a budget at the moment, instead using it on anything better to plan and invest, this might be used in my marine that I may plan after a year or soo.

“Don't grow vals otherwise they will be grab all the aquarium in a few days”
“if at all I plan corkscrew vals they will be placed in a partition, so they will not cover up the aquarium, might go for jumbo hairgrass also”

QUESTION E: what is the HC’s special care??

QUESTION F: how will a jumbo plant look? If I plan to get a crenum or crispus or Madagascar lace, then will it appeal the overall ecstasy of the layout?

QUESTION G: the stones are expensive, how much expensive ?? and from where I can get ?? I am trying to get it locally but nothing positive is seen.

I still need to get a filter as a backup army, later that filter might be used in my 4 footer tang setup ( my dream tank )

Dude in my place no one is neutral they all give me angry look….. lol but I do what ever I want to :P:P
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Regarding the shrimps if the dosing is correct I feel it wont be a problem, but try out 1st keeping some thing like red cherry shrimps or indian rainbow shrimps.
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I am quite newbie...so not getting into answering all your question but some points would like to share which came to my mind...

With all respect to your inspiration tank and Mr Oliveira...I would like to mention his tank is only 60 ltr and your 5*1.75*1.5, where it is quite mismatch....how you are going to compensate the enough vacant space?

You have mentioned you are not successful in growing Carpet plant...I think it is due to your tank height... I doubt after continuous using of your T5 for one year you will not be able to use the same now mainly for your foreground plant...

What I have studied recently... in vast scape if anybody is trying to create FG plant carpet...he should go for DSM...try in your tank...

Regarding your stone selection I would say use normal stone like granite...
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
jack

Unread post by jack »

Regarding the shrimps if the dosing is correct I feel it wont be a problem, but try out 1st keeping some thing like red cherry shrimps or indian rainbow shrimps.

@ Abhishek, thanks bro. I will be planning red cherrys only, as I feel I am not that experienced to invest in CRS or something expensive ;);)

@ Prathapratim22

“How you are going to compensate the enough vacant space?”
I know bro it will be a tough job to fill in the vacant space, but will try something out.

“I doubt after continuous using of your T5 for one year you will not be able to use the same now mainly for your foreground plant...”
That is the main reason I want to switch to MH, and if not MH I will change the T5’s tubes with the fresh ones.

“What I have studied recently... in vast scape if anybody is trying to create FG plant carpet...he should go for DSM...try in your tank...”
Sorry dude didn’t got you…. DSM ??

Granite? the ones which are available are polished ones, I want dark colored and rough, to get a natural look

Thanks for the suggestions, liked the participation ☺☺
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

QUESTION A: So if the light is sufficient what is the probable reason?

Ans : Chek your water parameters and temperature.

QUESTION B: what is the lightening you use in your planted tanks?

Ans: At present, I am using 21X4 =84 watt T5 tubes in "Green Desert"
PLL 36X2=72 watt in Anubias tank
CFL 27X1 = 27 watt in my moss tank

All of these are http://aquapetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=66.

QUESTION C: how much LED costs for tank of my size ?
Ans. One 3 watt LED cost from Rs. 42 to 215. Driver cost 300 to 550 which can run 7-10 LEDs.

“You can use Flourish Excel to boost the plant growth and get away the algae and snails”

QUESTION D: I plan to keep shrimps, using excel will create problem ????

Ans: No problem with mentioned volume. You can also used Glut but first read "Glutaraldehyde and Aquatic plants" carefully.

“Depends on your budget. If you can maintain temperature up to 28 degree Celsius, no need of chiller. Just install two industrial fans”
“currently it runs on fans only but not satisfied with the result, and evaporation is also in huge quantity”

and more I have a budget at the moment, instead using it on anything better to plan and invest, this might be used in my marine that I may plan after a year or soo.

Ans: You can go for chiller.

“Don't grow vals otherwise they will be grab all the aquarium in a few days”
“if at all I plan corkscrew vals they will be placed in a partition, so they will not cover up the aquarium, might go for jumbo hairgrass also”

QUESTION E: what is the HC’s special care??

Ans: It needs low temperature.

QUESTION F: how will a jumbo plant look? If I plan to get a crenum or crispus or Madagascar lace, then will it appeal the overall ecstasy of the layout?

Crenum and Madagascar lace both are attractive plant. Put a single plant in the mid of the tank. I don't know about jumbo plant.

QUESTION G: the stones are expensive, how much expensive ?? and from where I can get ?? I am trying to get it locally but nothing positive is seen.

Ans: I have seen in Aquatika 2010. a small piece cost Rs. 450+.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jack

Unread post by jack »

@ Rajivbro, nice tanks :):) Kudos :):)

Chek your water parameters and temperature.
i never had issues with water parameters, and as i stated above the temperature maintained is 28-32 depending on the season. In this season if i keep the fans on at night the temperature goes down till 20-21 degrees. ( starting of winter )

HC's special requirement will be taken care of with the chiller. now lets see what i choose ? HC or Glosso

Forget the stones, very expensive, for a tank of my size it will be thousands of money. will try to search something locally.

in your post, your journey the tank 2011 (45X30X30) is that german subwassertang ? how have you grown them ? are they tied to some thing ? or you just threw the bunch of them in corner and got this beautiful growth? i have a big bunch of those but i am confused how to use them
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

jack wrote:
“How you are going to compensate the enough vacant space?”
I know bro it will be a tough job to fill in the vacant space, but will try something out.

“I doubt after continuous using of your T5 for one year you will not be able to use the same now mainly for your foreground plant...”
That is the main reason I want to switch to MH, and if not MH I will change the T5’s tubes with the fresh ones.

“What I have studied recently... in vast scape if anybody is trying to create FG plant carpet...he should go for DSM...try in your tank...”
Sorry dude didn’t got you…. DSM ??

Granite? the ones which are available are polished ones, I want dark colored and rough, to get a natural look

Thanks for the suggestions, liked the participation ☺☺
Might be you can see the following tank for some inspiration... http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ol=0&id=77

DSM is equal to emmersed method or "dry start method"...

IMHO Normal railway track stones will work.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
jack

Unread post by jack »

folks a new thing came up to my mind, today afternoon when i trimmed my giant vals, i uprooted around 12 of them to make space for Aponogeton boivinianus, the substrate was disturbed but that was not look too bad either ( i know it looks bad but still ) lol

soo before i go for full tank strip down, tomorrow or day after i will remove all the vals from the back of my aquarium and plant the rotalas, i have pretty huge growth of rotala and i have to often trim them.

those who have not seen my tank

soo this will result in a dense wall of rotolas, and my green jungle will look more green, just rotalas and lilys, what say guys ??