Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.
rohit_discus
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

need help ! (discus )

Unread post by rohit_discus »

:feedb
hello everyone ,
i hav discus fish for almost 6-7 months now , am aware of some diseases but this one i am not sure . my discus are becoming sluggish showing bars and becoming blackish not showing their colours and are not eating , they rubbing there gillls against rocks and drift wood . there fins are all clamped and they behave very weird sometimes they run here and there suddnly like they are scared . i need help to identify what is wrong with them . i have a 4 ft * 2 ft *2ft tank with sand and drift wood and some rocks . ec is done every second day 20% and 50 % weekly . temp is 30 degrees constantly
pkattitude
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: need help ! (discus )

Unread post by pkattitude »

From what you describe it may be a lot of things... a photo and some more info will help....

how many are there?
what are the other tank mates?
are all discus behaving the same?
any other fish in the tank behaving the same?
are they hurdled up in a corner of the tank?
are they breathing heavily?
do you notice slimy white layer over their skin?
Have you added a new fish in the tank lately? if yes, was it a discus?

any more info/pic you can post
Regards,
Keshava
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Hi Rohit...good to see a post from you after quite a while.

Some of the symptoms you have written about are signs of stress. The stress in turn is induced by something else - disease, too much movement near the tank, too long lighting periods etc.

There are two things you can try here. One is to add a pinch of table salt. The other is to add Metrogyl to the water. This is an antibiotic and takes care of bacterial infections.

The other thing I have experienced with discus is that they are very sensitive to chlorine in tap water. Can you check the chlorine level in the water ? Do you have a test kit ? If not, just smell the tap water, it should indicate the level of chlorine in it.
discus sing
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by discus sing »

my suggestion is to change 20% water change daily with bit high temp, ( of course soft water or use good quality water conditioner like sera aquatan) , i think that will sufficient . best of luck
rohit_discus
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Thank you for all your quick replies . Il keep in mind what u all said . And as for mr pkattitudes questions , i havent added any new fishes for almost 3 months now not discus or other fishes . I hav 10 danios 10 sarpei teras 2 clown loafhes 1 queen loach and 1 catfish whose name i don remember right now. Not all are going in one corner only 1 my red turquoise hes close to 6 inches .he s the most dominant in the tank and he has turned black in colour . They are not breathing heavily . And no slime is there on their skin . Il post a photo asap as Of now i have put salt in the tank and have not given them food for a day now
adesh8028
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by adesh8028 »

interesting to see the photos. from the description it looks to be a problem with itch/fungal infection. Salt should do the trick after little(20/30%) WC.
rohit_discus
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

well they look much bttr now thanks for your advice guyz !