Going for a nano marine

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Going for a nano marine

Unread post by Abhishek »

Hey Guys,

Been only in the inverts and tang cichlid section, decided to dip a little in the marine side also.

Have a 1 cubic feeter lying empty so why not use it :adore

So here are some basic things I have -
Tank - 1cubic feet
Lighting - Suggest please - I will keep it a simple setup with may be an anemone with a pair of clown or some marine inverts.
Filtration - I have a 500lt/hr HOB with me which has a protein skimmer also. For freshwater I had used sponge,ceramic as filter media. For saltwater what to use?
Substrate - Aragonite.
Hydrometer and Salt been purchased.
Food - Suggestions are required.
Test kit- Will purchase the API one.
Live rock - Is it required?

And also please suggest the possible live stock options to keep in a 1cubic feeter, and also other things I need to take care off.
gauravgupta
Panel Members
Panel Members

Re: Going for a nano marine

Unread post by gauravgupta »

Hi Abhishek,

There is not much need of specific lights for simple Marine tank. You can use any of your choice which makes your tank looks good.

Skimmer and filtration are the main part of it. Be specific in choosing one. I will suggest Via aqua HOB skimmer which have biological filtration and UV also in it. There is additional space for heater also in it as we have to maintain temperature in it.

Hikari and Ocean Nutrition flakes and pellets are the best food which most of the fishes likes the most.

Live rock is not required if you like to make and fish only or having some inverts. Live rocks required mainly for live corals.

All above things are according to my experience in it. You can have a look of my marine tank in Marine Fish tread on the index board.

Best of luck for your tank.

Regards
Gaurav ;-)
Hands That Serve are Holier Than Lips That Pray!!
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Abhishek wrote:Lighting - Suggest please - I will keep it a simple setup with may be an anemone with a pair of clown or some marine inverts.
Use only proper lighting. Insufficient/Improper light can be the cause of growth cynobacteria (Red Slime Algae) in the tank. I am also facing this problem. But here in Delhi 10000-12000 K PLLs are not available.
Abhishek wrote:Filtration - I have a 500lt/hr HOB with me which has a protein skimmer also. For freshwater I had used sponge,ceramic as filter media. For saltwater what to use?
I have read somewhere that under 10 gallon tank can be keep without skimmer.
Abhishek wrote:Live rock - Is it required?
Live Rock/fake rock is required to colonize bacteria. It is must for biological filtration.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhishek

Thanks Gaurav, I am initially planning to keep it simple before adding any kind of live stock or anemone, and decided to make a plunge soon only :)
Abhishek

Rajiv Ji, about proper lighting what I have to look for?
Is the WPG or KL? I have around 4wpg light for that tank.

Cool, and also I will do 10 days 25% water change :)

Live rock in bangalore is a big pain so have to ask you guys help or help from people of chennai..
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Abhishek wrote:Rajiv Ji, about proper lighting what I have to look for?
I am suggesting for proper Kelvin. If there is 10000-12000 K PLLs available, let me know. I also need 1 PLL.
Abhishek wrote:Live rock in bangalore is a big pain so have to ask you guys help or help from people of chennai..
Don't worry. Source some MMLR and put it for some days in an existing marine tank. They will be ready to keep in a new tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jack

Unread post by jack »

Abhishek wrote:Rajiv Ji, about proper lighting what I have to look for?

Cool, and also I will do 10 days 25% water change :)

Live rock in bangalore is a big pain so have to ask you guys help or help from people of chennai..

hey congrats on marine

for the lights i would suggest go for LEDs they are good and heat less(if budget permits) try getting Crees and if not then go for simple chinese LED royal blue flood light they are available very easily in local market

If doing 25% water change then no need for skimmer if you stay simple but when every you plan to upgrade on live stock first thing i would suggest is to get a HOB skimmer (good one)

Live rocks are available with something fishy and pretty good quality, try contacting them they can ship it to banglore

keep updated all the best :)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
Abhishek

Thanks Rajiv Anna :) Will update you on the light and if I get that then will get one for you also :)
Abhishek

Thanks Jaival :)

I will ping them today and will try to start the tank by this week end if possible.

One more thing what test kits I require -
I have tds and ph meter for fresh water can it be used for salt water?
Other than nitrate and phosphate what else test kits are required?
jack

Unread post by jack »

Tests kits required are
nitrates, nitrates, amonia, PH, phosphates (incase of algae boom, else not mandatory)
the most important thing is the reefractometer to measure salinity. for this i would suggest to not to buy those cheap available options best to buy reefractometer and caliberate it, its a one time investment and never goes wrong.

regarding fresh water to be used in marine water i am not sure, let some expert chime in :)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D