Daphnia culture anyone?

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Daphnia culture anyone?

Unread post by deepesh »

Has anybody tried culturing daphnia? I saw some in a cistern being used for storing water for house construction. The cistern will be drained soon.

Is there any point in trying this or would it be just another headache with money down the drain?

From what I have read on the net, Daphnia culture seems quite iffy.

deepesh
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Daphnia culture anyone?

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

it is difficult to keep a steady population. but as they also lay dormant eggs the culture usually survives.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

VishaalDalal wrote:it is difficult to keep a steady population. but as they also lay dormant eggs the culture usually survives.
The eggs (ephippia) are produced only when the daphnia get a few days to decide their conditions are not to their liking. Then the females give birth to males (which are rare) and then come viable eggs (ephippia). If conditions plumment overnight, there are no daphnia left at all, adults or eggs.

They need more time than busy Deepesh can muster, IMHO. He is best advised to do what Woytek suggested in a different thread. Go the baby brine shrimp way! At least you can expect a simple cause -> effect result there...
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Well I was not looking for a steady supply of daphnia anyway! It was just that there was this fleeting opportunity to get them and i was thinking of keeping them going along at my place rather than a construction site where they would be drained in the near future. I guess I'll just go and net them while they are still there and forget the culturing..
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Good idea, bro.