jibran_shariff
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Betta - Care-Tank-Compatibility ?

Unread post by jibran_shariff »

Abhi wrote:
:cnf
The long tailed bettas do better in smaller tanks
A few of the breeders I have spoken to suggest that a smaller tank is a better bet as with a tighter space the betta is bound to do better
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

jibran_shariff wrote:The long tailed bettas do better in smaller tanks
A few of the breeders I have spoken to suggest that a smaller tank is a better bet as with a tighter space the betta is bound to do better
I am also agree to Jibran. Once I have brought a betta with long tail and introduces that in a 2 footer tank with other fishes. It stayed in a corner and hardly swims. At last that has been dead.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

jibran_shariff wrote:
Abhi wrote:
:cnf
The long tailed bettas do better in smaller tanks
coolbig
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Going little off the topic. Guys every time i have heard this 2 fighters can't live. But one of avid fish keeper here in Chandigarh was almost 10-11 bettas with female in a single tank. The tank was heavily planted just jungle like with lot of live plants and female was pregnant at that time. Had i not seen it myself wouldn't believe it. Any particular reason for it that guy managed to pull it off. Tank was i think 4ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft.
aquanick
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquanick »

Late to reply on this thread.. caught up with lazing around and long naps.. has been long overdue.. :P
Very interesting thread..
Hmmm..

For starters:
1)
The idea is to provide lesser swimming area to the longer tailed bettas so that they don't stress themselves
As the long tail is supposed to be a hindrance to their swimming
This is wrong and comes with a disclaimer : "Do not try this at home"

2)
But one of avid fish keeper here in Chandigarh was almost 10-11 bettas with female in a single tank.
Fighters are called fighters for a reason bro.. :)
Females can be stocked together.. Breeders keep the females together as they turn out to gro plumplier faster and ready for breeding..egg generation is enhanced when females are kept together

3)
I am also agree to Jibran. Once I have brought a betta with long tail and introduces that in a 2 footer tank with other fishes. It stayed in a corner and hardly swims. At last that has been dead.
Reasons for the death cannot be giving more space to a betta sirji. Questions : did you have a filter in the tank?
Betta biotopes are paddy field kinda swamps.. not much in height and no flow whatsoever.

4)
This is how i keep my bettas :
Plakats in 6inch or 8inch cubes
Halfmoons in 8inch cubes or 1' tanks in case they are heavily finned. Swimming generates vigor.
I prefer them isolated and let them flare at each other for 5-10 minutes daily..
Any disease in bettas if taken notice of at early stage can be cured with IAL and rocksalt easily.

Will be posting a few pics of the halfmoon transformations with me soon..like this one : viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2221
Ashish
-------------
Banaglore
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

@Ashish there were only 2 females and rest all males
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

I too would not directly attribute the Bettas death to excessive swimming space. I have kept them in tanks upto 30 inches. I feel that was a a waste of space. :lol:

@shergill
That fellow is tempting fate. Juvenile Bettas, even males will sometimes tolerate each other and establish a hierarchy but this phase is usually very short and as they grow they become highly intolerant. I won't be surprised if fighting breaks out one fine day and there's just one last man standing. Maybe the jungle like large tank is the key. Losers of fights get hiding places to recover enough to survive? I mean Bettas often live in paddy fields and its not like there is just one male to a paddy field. Anybody who has been to a maturing rice field knows that once you get down near the water surface you can't see beyond the next rice plant.

Personally, I haven't asked Bettas per se but I would go for about a foot cube for all Bettas regardless of fin type. Mind you this is a personal opinion just based on a arbitrary rule of thumb of about 7 -10 body lengths along the lesser dimension.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
jibran_shariff
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jibran_shariff »

Ashish bettas in paddy fields don't have veil tails and crown tails
Secondly you have your opinion and I have mine on keeping fish, as long as the fish is in good health, I doubt it is wrong
Correct fish keeping of any particular fish is common sense observation and experience
Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

jibran_shariff wrote:Ashish bettas in paddy fields don't have veil tails and crown tails
Secondly you have your opinion and I have mine on keeping fish, as long as the fish is in good health, I doubt it is wrong
Correct fish keeping of any particular fish is common sense observation and experience
Nicely said. Agree with you.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
aquanick
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquanick »

Ashish bettas in paddy fields don't have veil tails and crown tails
Ha Ha..
Unfortunately there was no sense, either common or uncommon in your 'hypothesis' of keeping longfinned bettas in small spaces and restrict them from even swimming freely..Unfortunately personal opinions when clash with known facts, will fall flat..
Fins on the tank floor will invite all types of infections and fin rot with a rsvp..

Also, why dont you share the breeder's details who told you to stock halfmoons in small spaces so that we all can take their valuable opinions? Because as far as the vast ocean of knowledge that is available on the internet goes, and pioneers like jim sonier, joep whose experience would exceed the personal opinions of part timers and novices like me, no one seems to suggest what you and the breeders that you spoke to.

@ abhi
Nicely said. Agree with you.
Sure go ahead but pls dont kill these beautiful creatures with limited personal opinions, rather visit a few good forums and websites on bettas.
Bettas4all.nl, arofanatics,bettaterritory.nl have amazing amount of proven and tested knowledge which preceded my common sense when i was a newbie..

@all mods : Thinking of closing this thread are we?
Ashish
-------------
Banaglore