Badis badis breeding journal

Discus here about fish breeding and fry care.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Badis badis breeding journal

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Yesterday clicked pics of an awesome juvi that represented the monster badis (his dad), which I have been keeping since close to 2 years now, and thought of completing this journal which was due since a long time...

Now to the point - Preferably give them their own tank, choosing the best male that you have for this purpose. What I have seen is that the alpha male will not allow others to breed no matter how big the tank is, the alpha male that I have even raids pots of other males and eats up any eggs laid there.

The alpha male - (has fathered 100s of kids till date and is my prized possession...:) )

His favorite female

What I have found is that they prefer slightly acidic waters. They have even bred in neutral waters but the breeding was consistent in acidic waters.
Water parameters in the breeding tank are:
Hardness: ard 100-120ppm
Temp: raise to 26DC then do a water change of 30-40%, targeting 24DC afterwards
pH: ard 6.5

Feeding - They anyway eat live food so provide a lot of live food like romifex, grindals, small snails (they eat small pest snails as well, in fact I use them as snail control mechanism in my planted) 2-3 times a day...

They are cave spawners. The male will select a pot and try to lure a female into his potential nesting site, where the female will lay any where between 25-80 eggs. Afterwards the female is driven away and the male will take care of the eggs. He will fan them to avoid the eggs being infested by fungus till they hatch.
The male protecting his nesting site

The eggs normally hatch within 2-3 days. The male will take care of the fry till they are free swimming. It is best to remove the male at this time as he might consider them food and eat them.

The fries are really small to even accept microworms so feed them infusoria for 5-6 days after they become free swimming. They will start accepting microworms after that.
A free swimming fry

Around 2.5mths old fries
[img]https://lh3.googleueLgOa__w/UdHGoF8xlwI/AAAAAAAAAfE/UZdJ0U37wIk/s912/IMG_6977.JPG[/img]

The juvi resembling his dad (clicked yest) ard 3.5 mths old
Last edited by vijendra_s123 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Badis badis breeding journal

Unread post by Romi »

As a person who had the honour to keep the alpha male for around 9 moths of this 2-year period he has been in the NCR region, i can vouch for his magnificence :)

And i agree, this young fellow seems to be a chip off the old block. congrates on having got two Alpha males now, vijjy, and that too, in the best possible way. ..... sigh !

Super thread.

And probably the only one we have at present on the internet that is Indian. It is sad that the Badis genus (including dario dario) so admired in Germany and elswhere, has so few Indians who are capable of keeping Badis well. They do not show colour as much if they are not well fed. I must mention that when i was in college in Jammu (MAM College, once called Prince of Wales College), i had found a book in the library that was printed in 1930. It was written by an Englishman who had written an entire chapter on the breeding and upkeep of these beautiful cichlid-like creatures native to India. ... I hope the interest in them these days will help save them from disappearance, which is not far behind if deforestation and corruption continues at this rate..
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

Am really glad to find out that you have dedicated to breed natives, very few do that as mentioned by Romi. Great work, your effort is showing through with the healthy lot of juveniles.

The new generation should be much more adaptable than their parents.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Can you prepare 4-5 pellate eating food for me.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jack

Unread post by jack »

Hats off to you vijs :)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

SCORPIO wrote:Can you prepare 4-5 pellate eating food for me.
Yes Vijendra,

only If you could get the tank reared ones eat prepared fish food, it would be a milestone as then a lot of aquarists would be able to keep this fish.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Vijendra just lovely :)

Delhi-NCR is lucky to have you there :)
vijendra_s123

Romi wrote:And i agree, this young fellow seems to be a chip off the old block. congrates on having got two Alpha males now, vijjy, and that too, in the best possible way. ..... sigh !
This guy (the juvi) is the biggest and the most brightly colored one of the lot, what I think is that he will even outgrow his dad who is 1.5times bigger than the rest of the badis males that I have...:)
and yes it is the same papa badis who was with you for ard 9mths...:)
hamza wrote:Am really glad to find out that you have dedicated to breed natives, very few do that as mentioned by Romi. Great work, your effort is showing through with the healthy lot of juveniles.

The new generation should be much more adaptable than their parents.
Thanks...:),
I guess people are not interested in breeding natives as many species are easily available in the markets. If you go to galiff street in kolkata you will get beauties like this for as less as INR10, maybe for even less, but what about 5-6 years down the line considering the rate at which their habitat is being destroyed...
Mostly all the fish sold in the Indian market are wild caught..
Our natives are in high demand outside India, My brother who stays in London was telling me that he saw Oryzias dancena being sold for 10 pounds (GBP) a piece...
The juvis are more stubborn than their parents. I feed the parents frozen food as well along with live but the juvis have not shown interest in frozen food as of now, maybe I have spoilt them by feeding live 2-3 times a day....:), but will surely try
jack wrote:Hats off to you vijs :)
Thanks...:)
VishaalDalal wrote:
Yes Vijendra,

only If you could get the tank reared ones eat prepared fish food, it would be a milestone as then a lot of aquarists would be able to keep this fish.
Will try, but I still beleive that rather than changing the behaviour of the fish it is us who should change and start keeping and feeding live food, especially now when it is easily available thanks to guys like Romi, Aamir and you...:)
Last edited by vijendra_s123 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
vijendra_s123

Abhishek wrote:Vijendra just lovely :)

Delhi-NCR is lucky to have you there :)
Thanks Abhishek...:)
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

congrats man, this is excellent post. I have badis lafraguri, but no luck on the breeding :), now with your parameter, i will start checking it. :)