Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Sharing a few pics of this small Indian wonder…:)

People have this belief that these guys only eat snails and buy them as a snail control mechanism, but they are much much more than that.

They need a varied diet and snails should be fed just once a week to keep their teeth in check. Ponds snails are best as MTS might damage their small teeth. I feed them Romifex and grindals, frozen mosquito larvae are also relished. Its fun to watch them catch those worms as they inspect them first with those chameleon like cute eyes.

They are very responsive and beg for food even if you are a few feet away from the aquarium.

I keep them in moderately soft water with hardness of up to 100-110ppm at ard 25D.
My Carinotetraodon travancoricus setup
They are small but command their own space, so keep them in a species only tank as any other fish (specially a slow moving one) would fall prey to their curiosity to see how fins taste.
I keep 8 (3 males and 5 females) in a 2’*1’*1’ aquarium. They prefer a low current so am using a sponge driven filter with changing ard 30% water a week. They are voracious eaters so water quality should be pristine.

These amazing little intelligent fish can be a perfect addition to anyone’s fish collection provided one treats them well and does not consider Carinotetraodon travancoricus as only a snail control mechanism.
navneethtk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Unread post by navneethtk »

Wow. They're lovely! And they look so cute!
I'm guessing this is a species only tank? But if one chooses to keep it in a community, can they?

Sent from my Panasonic P11 using Tapatalk
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

Nice...how do you identify their gender?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Kept 3 of them in 8inch cube. They killed my male Betta. Now lost somewhere in Himalayan Forest.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

They should b kept in species only tank rt ????? else they might go after other fishes as well
vijendra_s123

navneethtk wrote:Wow. They're lovely! And they look so cute!
I'm guessing this is a species only tank? But if one chooses to keep it in a community, can they?

Sent from my Panasonic P11 using Tapatalk
Have already mentioned it mate - 'They are small but command their own space, so keep them in a species only tank as any other fish (specially a slow moving one) would fall prey to their curiosity to see how fins taste.'
bmukh wrote:Nice...how do you identify their gender?
Adult males have a distinct dark line running vertically underside of their body, which females lack.
The dark vertical line

Males also have long oval markings or stripes on their backs and just behind the eye as shown in the pic below.
SCORPIO wrote:Kept 3 of them in 8inch cube. They killed my male Betta. Now lost somewhere in Himalayan Forest.
They are not tiny and shy enough to just disappear in the tank somewhere, if they are not visible then they are not alive.
pinaki_pal wrote:They should b kept in species only tank rt ????? else they might go after other fishes as well
Answered above
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

nice writeup and pictures.
vijendra_s123

devchitra wrote:nice writeup and pictures.
Thanks...:)
jackdanio
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jackdanio »

Interesting write up! Are they easily available?
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

nice tank viji