Looking to have tiny size schooling fish in Delhi

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Looking to have tiny size schooling fish in Delhi

Unread post by Romi »

SCORPIO wrote:Recently I got some fishes from Andrew Da but Danionella priapus and Horadandia are not in stock.
They were definitely in stock last month. I got them that time only. Both were in stock. I was not sure Horadandia would take dry food and my small tubifex was not doing well (has not done well for almost 18 months now, how bad I feel about it, especially since dear Neil Thirumuttam is still waiting...). But I was reassured Danionella would accept microworms and ground dry food, so I got those.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

PS

The danionella are breeding. unfortunately the yellow shrimp I have are dining on the fry. They spawn like killifish, a few eggs at a time, every few days or sometimes daily. I was hoping to exchange their young ones for other natives, or some such deal.... I don't think anything can be tinier than them, and still be hardy and active for you parthapratim. but I guess you will have to take anything that is available.

A friend of mine is coming from Kolkata. he is a doc and is near the pediatric specialty hospital. I was thinking of asking him to get some half-beaks... or some Botia dario. I wish I had got more than 6 that I got this time. They caused the MTS plague to vanish. coolbig
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rajivzee »

There are so many beautiful native fishes, which we don't really find here in stores
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:A friend of mine is coming from Kolkata. he is a doc and is near the pediatric specialty hospital. I was thinking of asking him to get some half-beaks... or some Botia dario. I wish I had got more than 6 that I got this time.
If you are ordering some fishes, let me know. I also want some.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

rajivzee wrote:There are so many beautiful native fishes, which we don't really find here in stores

very true. Because these species are Indian, and Indians feel ashamed for their 'desiness', they ignore the native species... till one day they come to know they are being exported worldwide.

It is a sad situation... the problem is, by the time they want the species, the sellers are more interested in sending them abroad than helping to create a domestic market for them.

When I first saw a Queen Botia, I saw it in Wojtek's aquarium. I could not believe that I had never seen the loach before or that it was so cheap. it was such a striking Taxi colour, yellow and black...

searching for it since, I did not find it even in 2 years of searching. .. people kept saying they know it is common, they know it is cheap, but when I look it is nowhere. .. I guess the exporter realized it is better to export it than to sell to Indians. Can we blame him? :|
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

SCORPIO wrote:
Romi wrote:A friend of mine is coming from Kolkata. he is a doc and is near the pediatric specialty hospital. I was thinking of asking him to get some half-beaks... or some Botia dario. I wish I had got more than 6 that I got this time.
If you are ordering some fishes, let me know. I also want some.

I think you already got native lately. let us breed these natives and distribute/exchange/sell among each other. And only then order again. I am not going to order from Andrew Da for the next 2 years. now I have to breed the Danionella and Laubuca dadiburjori before I even think of getting more natives. If I come to know of a new order, I will ask on behalf of you if you can be included.

You must breed the Horandandia you have, again. It is a noble deed to propagate natives. Even Andrew Da does not like to harvest fish that are getting too rare or if it is their breeding season. I can exchange Horandandia fry with you with Danionella fry. I will come to your home just to help propagate this native fish species... even if I get lost again ;)
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I will ask my friend to get halfbeaks. as you already have kept them with me and Amir, they are easy to breed, and very enjoyable. I do not know if they will be available since Andrew Da himself failed to find native halfbeaks once when I requested him. .. so let us see if we are lucky this time. And God willing, if this tank of parthapratim is still waiting for more fish, he can tell us if he is interested in some. with just some floating plants, one pair will be nice.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote: I can exchange Horandandia fry with you with Danionella fry. I will come to your home just to help propagate this native fish species... even if I get lost again
I am also looking for halfbeaks. I distributed many halfbeak fry but now they are not in Delhi/NCR.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rajivzee »

I can only wish that some online store like flipkart start selling them, so we can have some flash sales :-)

Sent from mobile
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain