Lost My Texas Chiclid Fish

Forum for discussion on Cichlids.
rahul2kcuteguy
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Lost My Texas Chiclid Fish

Unread post by rahul2kcuteguy »

Hi All,
Lost my 1 st fish after an experience in this hobby for last 1.5 years & would admitt it hurts :(

Well, i know its sheer ignorance due to which this might have occurred but now would like to clarify few points (My 4 foot tank has 0scars- 2 nos,Texas-2 nos,Parrot fishes -3 nos, Silver dollar- 4Nos. & Featherfin - 1 Nos. ) :

1. My tank temperature was 28 Deg which i felt made my texas & parrot fishes to make pairs more regularly.
2. They all were together for last 1.5 years but mostly texas & one of my yellow parrot had little fights which i thought is part of chiclids aggression.
3. My Texas was the fastest growing & most healthy of all but it started turning little white as my parrot fishes started chasing it for long.
4. Kindly advice if its caused by fighting between chiclids or any other reason can also be the reason which i should check out.
5. i dont want my oscars to be hurt in future so are parrots fine with them and also i have one texas now in tank which i feel should now be separated as my parrot is little bigger than that fish.

Looking forward for your valuable feedbacks & suggestions.
Thanks In advance.
hrishi007
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Lost My Texas Chiclid Fish

Unread post by hrishi007 »

First and foremost, you have got all incompatible fishes bro. They might have lived happily for quite some time now, but at the end of the day cichlids are cichlids..as aggressive and unpredictable as ever. My advice would be to separate the texas, featherfin and dollar to a separate tank. Best of luck.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

1. Parrot fish are not built to bite a fish, can only swallow. So dont blame them.
2. Your tank is indeed small for 7 big fishes. Remove one of the species. What exactly is the tank size? , saying 4 feet is like saying "my hand is 3Kg- guess my weight"

Fish turning white? thats when you should have hit the forum :{ , sorry for the loss.
sub
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sub »

sorry for your loss ,
Aggression is the behaviour of cichlid so it will be always there in cichlid tank even in my 7 footer I see lot of aggression ,
U have to reduce fish number and give them good space , also aggression can be reduce if u keep solo male fish most of cichlid become very aggressive during breeding.
if fish died by injuries due to fight with other fish there will be external damage.
rahul2kcuteguy
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Well, i couldn't locate any external injury as such but most of its body was pale & scales were not in natural pattern...
Anyways eyes were fine. Have a look at the pic.
But she was roaming near my Parrot fish whom i think he mated but later it was chased off by partner only ro protect after eggs turned whitish.
Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rahul2kcuteguy
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Today, i meet Raja the owner of Bengal Aquarium at Anand Parbat and discussed with him ...
He told she might have died of Heart Attack as she might be very stressed & afraid of Parrot fishes chasing her.
Is it possible !
sub
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sub »

any living thing which have Heart , can die by Heart Attack, by watching ur fish pic i think it might died by stressed and scales were eaten by your featherfin after its death ,
fish looks okay, belly is not swell .
u can put pots, wood and rocks in tank for hiding stressed fish ,i would like to see your tank FTS ...
sub
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sub »

my pearlscale breeding pair ,when i see fish start digging sand i put clay pots after they eggs in it, i remove pot and keep it to other tank with airstone ,had success with breeding pearlscale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Read up on species before going for a community tank. Oscars ?? I will never keep them in a community. Always separate. These are fish with character, a ravenous appetite and put a lot of stress on the filtration system of the tank !! They grow big and will literally eat of your palm.

I second Saikumar's question - when you say 4 feeter, what is the exact size. I have a 4 feeter which is only a foot wide. I will NEVER keep cichlids.

Sorry for the loss. But don't waste time discussing your loss with LFS. Keep on talking on Aquapetz and I am sure you will benefit from the wisdom of people who have travelled down this road when they started off.

Here is one of my experiences - I had a beautiful severum pair in a 2 feeter with a Fluval 105 canister. This was around 5 years ago. Little did I realise that these are large boisterous fish which need lots of space, a varied diet, a biotope setup and good filteration. I lost both fish within 2 days of each other after 1.5 years. This was all of a sudden. What I learnt is never to keep such aggressive species in confined spaces. Hence, no more cichlids for me in my current setup !!
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

apuda2010 wrote:Read up on species before going for a community tank. Oscars ?? I will never keep them in a community. Always separate. These are fish with character, a ravenous appetite and put a lot of stress on the filtration system of the tank !! They grow big and will literally eat of your palm.

I second Saikumar's question - when you say 4 feeter, what is the exact size. I have a 4 feeter which is only a foot wide. I will NEVER keep cichlids.

Sorry for the loss. But don't waste time discussing your loss with LFS. Keep on talking on Aquapetz and I am sure you will benefit from the wisdom of people who have travelled down this road when they started off.

Here is one of my experiences - I had a beautiful severum pair in a 2 feeter with a Fluval 105 canister. This was around 5 years ago. Little did I realise that these are large boisterous fish which need lots of space, a varied diet, a biotope setup and good filteration. I lost both fish within 2 days of each other after 1.5 years. This was all of a sudden. What I learnt is never to keep such aggressive species in confined spaces. Hence, no more cichlids for me in my current setup !!
:1

What are the complete dimensions of the tank ?
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !