Quarantining new fish

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Quarantining new fish

Unread post by slowpoison »

Due space constraints I've been unable to set up a separate quarantine tank in the past. However all that is now in the'past'. Recently I got myself a 10g tank for quarantining purposes.
Now the thing is, I've been offered to buy 10-12 Pseudomugil Gertrudae, and since these are pretty hard to come by, I am adamant to keep them all alive. I've been advised, to quarantine new fish Id have to add methyl blue to a separate container of tank water where the fish are kept for about 30 mins. This helps cure the nh3 and no2 burns and rids internal or external parasites. After this, the fish should be moved to the QT with tank water and non-iodized salt[rocksalt] where it should be kept for at least 2 weeks with daily WC.
Question is, is that what you all do? How about adding the meth blue and salt together in the QT[no problem with staining]? Or do you add salt and meth in a separate container for 30 mins and then move the fish to the QT with fresh tank water for 2 weeks? Also, how long do you keep you fish dipped in meth b. and/or salt?

PS. I understand some of you may simply dump the fish in your new tank, however P.Gertrudae, is a species that I do not come across daily and thus, do not want to give up on easily.

Thanks
Regards,
Arijit
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quarantining new fish

Unread post by SCORPIO »

slowpoison wrote:Question is, is that what you all do? How about adding the meth blue and salt together in the QT[no problem with staining]? Or do you add salt and meth in a separate container for 30 mins and then move the fish to the QT with fresh tank water for 2 weeks? Also, how long do you keep you fish dipped in meth b. and/or salt?
Why do you want to add to add both methylene blue and salt both the items.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

I do not want to add both. I was advised that I should, and thats why I decided to ask for experts opinion first.
Regards,
Arijit
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

I keep my fish in a quarantine tank, de-worm them and after 7 days introduce them to the main tank.
Nothing else I do.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Do you re-acclimatize the fish when you introduce them from the QT to the main tank?
Regards,
Arijit
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

i use no medication at all in my QT. only salt when the fish is unwell. And feed live food to newcomers to get them comfortable fast. i cant remember a time when it failed except once when i forgot to switch off the light and the fish did not rest. It probably died of exhaustion next morning.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Maybe thats because you get the stock from a reliable dealer. Cannot say the same about me.:(
Regards,
Arijit
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

slowpoison wrote:Do you re-acclimatize the fish when you introduce them from the QT to the main tank?
its necessary if the water parameters are drastic. Like you're moving from bare bottom oxygenated tank to high CO2 planted etc.

Infact as experts said a simple well areated tank with stable temperature and water will destress the fish best.
NH4 burns are no way related to blue liquid or salts. As long as fish are not deformed, wounded and are eating I ll vouch for that source.
saikumar

Unread post by saikumar »

BTW not to burst the bubble but "Gertrudae" is no more a rarity :) . You get them lot from Mumbai dealers these days, I hope so must be in core markets at ur place. But yes are bit fragile.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

saikumar wrote:BTW not to burst the bubble but "Gertrudae" is no more a rarity :) . You get them lot from Mumbai dealers these days, I hope so must be in core markets at ur place. But yes are bit fragile....
They are a rarity in the sense;
1. You do not get them whenever you wish for them like you do with guppies, gouramis, etc
2. Having spent a great chunk of my life in Mumbai, a trip to Kurla or Nautilus in Bandra, or more recently Joe Paul's, would fetch you some of the most exotic varieties of both Marine and the freshwater world. However the same cannot be said for all parts of the country especially where I reside now :(.
Regards,
Arijit