Substrate for new planted tank

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
zico_aqua
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Substrate for new planted tank

Unread post by zico_aqua »

the scape has potential but IMO since you are planning for stems in the sides and since it's elevated lights reaching the bottom dwelling carpet plants would be low in the long run. From what I can judge of the earlier pix of the tank, it's going to be viewable from 3 sides, had I been you I would have gone for a single island scape, with few bottom hugging DW with loads of Java Fern and Windelov fern mix, with chrtistmas an' flame moss on the twiglets they should have been mounted on rocks to give the height effect, now for this you need to flatten the substrate at the sides. The 2nd scape I can think of keeping the existing substrate shape is two separate islands on the sides with DW but they must be diagonally kept to give the sense of completeness yet subtlety, once done at diagonal ends put a sand pathway diagonally towards the front to depict the waterway. i would suggest a DSM with carpet plants with other stems to come down in a months time this will not only avoid the algae condition but also will give you the leverage to change the scape if required during the DSM.
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
zico_aqua

Unread post by zico_aqua »

okay saw yourlast post since my assumption was correct of the 3 side views, make one island on left back corner another in the right front with DW's pointing towards diagonal, this will also hide the sump as the DW would be covered quite a bit and to give the added effect use some stems/grss plants at the back of the DW, here again use rocks appropriately to give the sense of depth.
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

here is the link with lot of aquascape types with pics you must go through them and decide what you can create in your aquarium.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/g ... -take.html
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

This tank is viewable from both the front sides.

The photo has been taken in the starting stage of the tank. Later all the empty space has been covered by hair grass and glosso. I am searching another photo of the tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

abartar wrote:Thanks. This tank is placed in the middle of the room and can be seen from both the 4' sides. Hence I am not creating any background on the long (4') side. The shorter (1.5') sides are not visible directly, hence the tall stem plants. Towards the wall is the sump.
Ok I got it, sorry to confuse you.

Nice I have an example for you, this is a tank of world one of the best aquascaper and might be very high tech tank....this may only help you to understand the slope!!!

Or this one
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

Thanks for your overwhelming response but at the same time I am a novice in planted aquarium. This is the first time I am setting up a 4’ planted tank. I can only dream of making such a beautiful scape one day. Considering the difficulty in arranging various items for the planted setup, I expect my first setup to be a basic simple setup. Moreover I already have the substrate in place with slopes formed from cocopeat & soilrite/soil. Unfortunately It will be difficult to change the slopes. I will add drift wood diagonally as suggested and place the plants as per your suggestions.

How can we best place the plants on the slopes? I mean where to put the stem plants, mid ground etc. on the slopes to get the proper look...
Aviral Bartar
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

parthapratim22 wrote:
abartar wrote:Will put the pics as soon as I put the gravel in. Most probably tonight. Will look out for the drift wood and rocks as suggested.
I would request you to post a PIC before putting inside your tank...because it may not be good for planted tank, I have heard very less about any brown color inert top substrate...

Here are the photos of brown gravel...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aviral Bartar
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

Both the photos of the same gravel look so diferent. I think it's because of the flash and the gravel in the closeup is washed.
Aviral Bartar
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

i have used them in my tank and i think they are safe to be used
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
abartar
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abartar »

ishaan wrote:i have used them in my tank and i think they are safe to be used
Thanks will add them to the tank tomorow. Also have managed to get some rocks. Will be adding that too. And then have to look for plants.....another challenge.
Aviral Bartar